1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loss of Easter holidays?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by xlifeisasongx, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That’s our situation, lalad, and they are staggering our Easter break. Some starting from now for two weeks then some having the planned two weeks.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I understand the need for someone to be responsible for the children of key workers. I get that.
    I do not get why this falls to teachers.

I have read many confusing reports of the different strategies being implemented by different LAs. Some are planning to bus children around to pack them into schools and have a teacher in the room responsible for those children. What scares the sh11te out of me is that there is no plan for what happens in these virus distribution centres. What if a kid gets sick in school? What if a disturbed student starts to kick off and starts biting and spitting? Will there be any ppe for the teachers? Will there be any medical staff present?
    When the first inevitable death of a teacher occurs, will anyone be so keen to volunteer to babysit then?

The government are telling us to socially distance. bojo further enhances this today by saying do not go visit your mother on mothers' day. The government are asking that children do not go out and meet their friends. Yet in the same breath they are telling teachers to look after packed classrooms of children of people who are exposed to cv19 all day at their place of work. It is madness.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Staff and pupils at a British primary school are in shock after a headteacher died days after being diagnosed with coronavirus.

Roose Primary School and its nursery, in Cumbria, will close completely on Monday, even to children of essential workers, out of respect for tragic Wendy Jacobs who passed away at the weekend, reports LancashireLive.
    Chairman of governors Fred Chatfield, said the death is a "huge loss" and urged parents to keep their kids at home as the disease continues to spread.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-much-loved-primary-school-21736514

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

How devastatingly tragic, especially to those in the school community.

Imagine how the children must feel...

Sally006 likes this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Ofsted inspectors.

6. moscowbore

I viewed several news items from schools open yesterday, Monday.
    A few were trying to implement some form of distancing but had to admit that it was near impossible.
    One school will not take students from y9 and above as they are safe to be at home on their own.

Some were using online teaching and doing classroom teaching at the same time. Not sure how successful that will be.

Two were not implementing distancing of any form and were happy for camera crews to film students sitting together in classrooms and libraries. One showed students out in the playground running around and playing.

Not one teacher was wearing even a mask, not that they are that useful. No gloves, nothing.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Where would they get one from? Scarcer than toilet rolls!

8. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Hmm, from the OP's post I'm starting to develop some ideas about why some teachers became 'teachers'.

9. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Plenty of masks to be bought on line - I've just had a box of 10 N95 ones delivered.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It seems to be working in most schools, apart from EYFS.
    How could they possibly?! Children playing? Running around outside? Good heavens. :rolleyes:
    Possibly took them off for the camera crews? Possibly decided they weren't totally necessary? Possibly none were available? Of the ten staff who supervised children throughout last week in my school only one wanted a mask, though all were offered.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. moscowbore

Children can be asymptomatic spreaders. Adults who get infected from children can be asymptomatic. They can then spread covid19 to those in the vulnerable groups leading to hospitalisation and even death.
    The whole point of the government strategy is to reduce the spread of the virus and to protect vulnerable groups. Your cavalier attitude to this is quite worrying.

Lalex123 likes this.
  12. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Reading many of their comments across numerous threads it is clear that some people don’t understand the threat this virus poses. The 2m distance guidelines have been looked into and it appears that even with that distance, you are not immune from catching the virus. The only sure fire way of avoiding it is by social isolation which some school staff are unable to do.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I said that the social distancing was working in most schools, apart from with very young children. You say you read one reports, but I am in contact with schools all over the place and everyone is giving advice on how to enforce it and how well it works. Therefore in most schools it isn't impossible and is working well. This is not a cavalier attitude and follows government strategy.

Children need to be outside as much as possible, for their mental health, their physical exercise and because it is safer in terms of dissipating any trace of the current virus. Most primary schools and nurseries are keeping children outside as much as possible because they know children tend to play further apart when outside than when inside. It is safer for everyone that way. This is not a cavalier attitude and follows the government strategy.

Our school offered every teacher the option of a mask and/or gloves. Those who will be in contact with people in vulnerable groups are not in school. Therefore those who are in school are in the least vulnerable groups themselves and share a home with similar. Hence choosing not to wear gloves or a mask and leave them for the more needed. This is not a cavalier attitude and follows the government strategy.

Just because I'm not writing ridiculously scaremongering posts based on reading one news article, it doesn't mean I am not following guidelines and doing my little bit to help prevent further illness and death.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

It is virtually impossible to care for our youngest children at 2m. Junior aged perhaps. One regular attendee at our school is only 4 and needs 1-1 with her home learning resources and even with practical activities. They can’t be done at a 2m distance. What I have read is that asymptomatic children have a “low load” of the virus and this low load reduces the risk of severe infection to those they are in contact with. Sadly, our medical staff are in the face of patients with high load and this is why their PPE is critical to their protection. If this is right then staff going into schools infrequently on rota systems are at low risk. We just have to hope this is right as otherwise in the next few days we will see lots of staff off sick.

15. Ro13

Ro13 New commenter

I think "all" teachers need to do what is best for them & their family. I Iave grown-up children & live alone.

My school, a small primary independent, stayed open, for keyworker children, up to Friday 3rd April. Because we were down to two teachers, my head decided we had to close. I would have gone on as long as I was needed. Keyworker parents have been given advice on where their children can go.

I have put my name forward to volunteer at any school in area that is a hub, if needed. My choice as I don't have to worry who I may take virus home to.

After Easter holidays I will be teaching from home too.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

According to the latest science we may be back sooner... check out the response on Coronavirus threads/ Leadership

17. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Do you mean all the bullies want to be back in school. Some now have mental health problems because they have not been able bully people for a couple for a couple of weeks. Can any one suggest what we do for these sad people.