1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loss of Easter holidays?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by xlifeisasongx, Mar 19, 2020.

1. xlifeisasongx

xlifeisasongx New commenter

Where does your school stand on this?

Will you be expected to go into school to provide a provision for vulnerable students during this crisis?

Do Headteachers have any grounds to do this or are we entitled to a holiday?

2. Jeroniymo

Jeroniymo New commenter

Please tell me this is a wind up ...... i for one have already volunteered to help support these pupils in school to free up their parents to do the amazing work they do .....

Id hope we all see the importanxe ... if most chip in it would be one or two weeks max

ruthanderson11 and WB like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@xlifeisasongx there are several threads running on here about this already. Have a read of them.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Expected? No
    Asked to volunteer? Yes

Some, like the OP had kittens about even being asked.
    Most, like post 2 couldn't believe there was any doubt that of course we'd help out as needed.

5. dave wilson

dave wilson New commenter

Entitled. How apt.

6. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

What is with this growing contempt for teachers, even from educators themselves!

Speaking for myself, there are many reasons why I would like to enjoy the holidays I have worked for, but mainly I need to catch up on my workload. I am using this ‘quarantine’ time to:
    - Plan work for those students who are self isolating or at home
    - Teach students who are children of key workers
    - Mark and try to gather in as much controlled assessment as possible
    - Tidy and clean my classrooms and work spaces
    - Create activities that students can use over the next few months; some with internet access, others without, some with instruments, others without
    - Utilise this time to ‘fix’ the SOL and resources I created for this year, across all year groups.

As a HOD and the only teacher of my subject, I am a busy person, especially now I’m condensing 5 months of work and expected to work holidays too! To be asked to babysit secondary aged children is taking me further away from my family and work life balance.

I absolutely want to chip in but if I don’t rest I’m afraid I’ll succumb to this virus and have serious long lasting effects. Medic friends of mine have tried to explain the seriousness of this all to me, they are worried we are underestimating this virus. I’m worried for close family who I live with, especially those with serious underlying health conditions.

install, Kandahar, BetterNow and 6 others like this.
  7. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

I personally am happy to work over Easter because I am already accepting that things have changed and the cancellation of other events that would've kept me at school for long hours, (marking, meetings, planning etc) from this more than make up for the potential lack of an Easter holiday, plus this is... well, it's my job.

But let's please not run down other people who feel differently - some of us have memories that extend 10 years+ to what the government have done to our profession and goodwill has been exploited so much that people are done with seeing things [perhaps] with full objectivity. I am partially done, it's only my emotional distance that has kept me as a teaching veteran at this point.

Some of you volunteers probably like your schools and your job. Maybe you get a kick out of helping others and 'pulling together' and that's great, I am glad there are people out there like us who will willingly work and pick up the slack. But if you do that and you are that type it's not very becoming if you then denigrate those who are potentially struggling massively with their anxiety, workload, health and other concerns at this point and can't focus on the prospect of losing their holidays because, and I hope people understand this, especially as teachers, the government has done nothing to look after you for years. It's great some of us have the resilience to keep going but not everyone does.

WB, Kandahar, suzzie1976 and 8 others like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Surely those teachers with health conditions, or who live/come into contact with people with such health conditions (or who are elderly) should NOT be used to staff these 'emergency' schools?

Kandahar, drek, BetterNow and 5 others like this.
  9. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Well, I'll happily work from home all Easter, every single day, making online resources available to ensure the continued education of my pupils. I signed up to teach, I enjoy it, it's what I'm good at, and so I will willingly sacrifice my holidays, my weekends and even my evenings to do my bit in this crisis. For health reasons, though, I'm not happy about going in to supervise kids who might give it to me, the difference being, I didn't sign up to sacrifice myself.

Yes, I know key workers' kids need minding, but... it's fine if you're young and fit and you choose to volunteer to look after key workers' kids. Heads have a tricky path to tread while they calculate whether their schools can open safely.

10. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

You don’t know what people’s circumstances are. I, for example, can’t go to work during Easter as my child has a term time only nursery place which I pay for because he’s under 1. Plus, as a private nursery, they have decided to close entirely and are not staying open for key workers. My husband is also a teacher so he can’t choose to work from home either so one of us needs to look after our son over the Easter holidays.

Kandahar, suzzie1976, drek and 2 others like this.
  11. RobD1506

RobD1506 New commenter

C
    Completely agree. I like my job and enjoy making a difference every day. However I also accept that we will be working through holidays/possible weekends and would therefore burn out if this isn't managed/staff placed on rota accordingly (and we can't really afford to lose more members of staff right now!) I do hope schools and leaders are taking this into account as they're locked away attempting to sort this today.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  12. brush75

brush75 New commenter

If you're worried about the loss of the Easter holidays, you're going to enjoy the next stage - weekend working and extended hours - even more.

a1976 likes this.
  13. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Tell me more... Weekend working? I know the extended hours are already on which is brutal

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The school I am currently on supply to has produced a teaching roster for the 30 or so kids who need to be in. I have been allocated a spot on the roster. They are however staying open over the easter break.

15. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I do not understand the need for teachers in schools if there is to be no teaching.

Kandahar likes this.
  16. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I suppose it’s because they need a load of babysitters, and teachers are still being paid, but sat around not working.

To be honest, it should be easy money.

17. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Not when schools are full of children on EHCPs due to behaviour issues, it won't be!

BetterNow and Sally006 like this.
  18. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

The children have to go somewhere & under the supervision of adults who have been DBS checked. Where would you suggest the children go & under who's supervision?

19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

In our school, its voluntary, but there are plenty of volunteers to fill the rota.

We are in a crisis. people want to do their bit. Equally some people are not free to join the rota.

Its just depends on individual health and circumstances.

Pomza and Morninglover like this.
  20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I've heard of a school that is going to be open from 8 until 6 for children of key workers; teachers have to sign up for either morning or afternoon five hour shifts every day, in addition to providing online work for children from their own class staying at home.