1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

losing voice during colds

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by the queen bee, Feb 16, 2008.

1. hi since i started teaching i keep on losing my voice frequently at any sign of cold. does any body else get that. i dont have to cough loudly to lose my voice, it just happens when i get a cold. i know teaching have some thing to do with that. i never use to lose my voice before. had very bad class in my first year, been teaching for 4 years. this year since january i have lost my voice twice, lasting 5 days. doctors not been useful. what can i do to help me from losing my voice that easily when i get a cold. i dont really shout when teaching, but as you know teaching involves lot of talking. does anyone out there have the same problem as me. also continuing teaching with husky voice, am i distorying my vocal cords forever.

2. hi since i started teaching i keep on losing my voice frequently at any sign of cold. does any body else get that. i dont have to cough loudly to lose my voice, it just happens when i get a cold. i know teaching have some thing to do with that. i never use to lose my voice before. had very bad class in my first year, been teaching for 4 years. this year since january i have lost my voice twice, lasting 5 days. doctors not been useful. what can i do to help me from losing my voice that easily when i get a cold. i dont really shout when teaching, but as you know teaching involves lot of talking. does anyone out there have the same problem as me. also continuing teaching with husky voice, am i distorying my vocal cords forever.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Tell this to your GP. If that doesn't help then speak to an actor about voice projection without being too tense, if in secondary speak to a drama teacher.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You need to be really careful - if your voice isn't 100%, then just don't use it. Seriously, you can do a lot of damage if you're not careful.
    Drink pineapple juice and lots of water, avoid caffeine and alcohol, dairy and spicy food. Don't shout. Avoid clearing your throat. Don't use throat sweets or things like that - they numb any pain and make you think it's okay to speak when it isn't.