1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing sleep the night before going back.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Waterfin, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I love where I work and confident when in my classroom. I am lucky enough to work in a school that I am happy in and where the behaviour is not too bad.
    Still, after more than 10 years I lose sleep on the last night of the hols.
    The other day I was at school on the first day back, thinking "Wow, I didn't lose any sleep last night and wasn't worried about coming back to work." Then I woke up and realised I was dreaming about not losing sleep and I hadn't gone back to work yet.
    Part of me loses sleep thinking about all the things I need to get ready for my own children going back and part of me is concerned about how things are going to go with my new class. It is the unknown I think, because once the first day is over then it is back to business as usual.
    I don't lie there worrying, but my brain is always on overdrive.

2. I love where I work and confident when in my classroom. I am lucky enough to work in a school that I am happy in and where the behaviour is not too bad.
    Still, after more than 10 years I lose sleep on the last night of the hols.
    The other day I was at school on the first day back, thinking "Wow, I didn't lose any sleep last night and wasn't worried about coming back to work." Then I woke up and realised I was dreaming about not losing sleep and I hadn't gone back to work yet.
    Part of me loses sleep thinking about all the things I need to get ready for my own children going back and part of me is concerned about how things are going to go with my new class. It is the unknown I think, because once the first day is over then it is back to business as usual.
    I don't lie there worrying, but my brain is always on overdrive.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It is normal.
    Every teacher I've ever known has it happen to them.

Just think - all over the country teachers will be laying there in the early hours of the morning, wondering what the day will bring.
    Bit like a nasty version of Christmas Eve really...

4. I'm actively avoiding going to bed as I know I will wake (many times) fretting about tomorrow. May as well stay up a while longer!

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Tomorrow is not a real day, it is only an Inset day, so you do not need to worry.

6. We had out insets last week. I too am going to avoid an early night as I know it won't help. I've saved a good book to read for the occasion. I figure I'd rather be tired from staying up reading than staying up mulling over school things.
    I usually end up making lists in my head of things that need doing, and even mentally rehearsing what I am going to say to the kids in class. No idea why.

7. Glad it's not just me then!!
    When I was a TA I was exactly the same then. This year I'm prepared. I have the latest Linwood Barclay book ready for tonight. And like some of the others on here, I've got inset for a couple of days so it'll be ok... I'm sure the night before the I start teaching I'll be out like a light!
    At least this way, we're making the holiday last that little bit longer...

8. I slept no prob on the night before the training days, but I think I get worse after the training days as I have usually been reminded of the million things I always intend to do after being back in school.

9. I naively went to bed at 10pm. Needless to say I'm still wide awake!

10. I didn't even wake up until 10 this morning and loafed about for another hour after that, so the chance of falling asleep before 2 tonight is pretty small.

11. I woke up at 7am and spent the whole day tired. Resisted the afternoon nap but it all seems pointless now!! Doesn't help that mr pff is pulling his content sleeping face next to me after nodding off the moment he laid down [​IMG]

12. I went to bed at 11 but could not sleep. I'm wide awake now :(

I've been teaching for over 10 years and I've never slept properly the night before we go back to school after any holiday break.

Early night tomorrow!

13. Actually managed to sleep last night, but the previously weeks have been lousy. As soon as Mr W said, you've only two weeks left that was it, poor sleep almost every night.

Have woken up with pit of nausea in my stomach - that'll be there for the next seven weeks [​IMG]

Like OP, I'm in a school that I like with decent kids and very few behaviour problems, but the thought of the workload and fifty hour weeks again fills me with dread.

And according the people's Facebook status, we have a full staff meeting at 3pm, even after Inset...

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Well that was my worst night's sleep for 6 weeks. I ended up having to take a herbal sleeping tablet.
    So much for being so relaxed about going back that I didn't need to do any planning. My brain decided to do it last night instead of going to sleep. I seem to remember having some brilliant ideas so I hope I can recall and apply at least one of them!
    Good luck to everyone. I hope it is all a lot better than we are expecting.

15. Thanks.

Why am I sat here, looking at this thread? Because I'm next to the bathroom, and I haven't decided yet whether I'm really going to throw up...

16. Well I'm well and truly awake now. OH had left some chopped chilli on the side so I have just cleared it up. Completely forgot ten minutes later and rubbed my eye [​IMG]

17. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Big hugs to all going back today. I'm part time so don't start til Wedneday but not looking forward to doing a job share with the flakey deputy head....

18. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Ah, the old chilli in the eye trick, eh? Better than a strong coffee. [​IMG]

19. Just wanted to wish you all good luck for the new school year! Hope it is not as bad as some of you expected!!

20. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Poke him in the eye, really hard and then pretend to be asleep. You can repeat this as often as you like until you feel better.