1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing respect for more and more Heads

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Ezioclone, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

Is it just me that’s annoyed by more and more Heads writing things like ‘congratulations to ALL our students on another set of amazing GCSE results’ (my emboldening) on the front page of their school’s website?

Some students work very hard, and do indeed achieve superb results. But to attempt to claim that all their students have done so (when you see some in tears on results day) - in a misguided attempt to show that their school truly succeeds in motivating all their students to truly achieve their best, is often ridiculous.

If Heads feel that the only way to meet the challenge of competition from other local schools is by lying and blatantly mis-representing themselves to this degree, then I genuinely question their ability to provide true leadership and to a genuine relationship with their community. They most certainly do not attract me to work in their schools.

MMT

2. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Heads annoy me over many things but this isn't really one. It is true to say if you look at every schools press release on results day they have all broken new records. The truth only really comes out later when the DFE publish their league tables. However you can't really blame heads on this one. More annoying is when they proudly claim 30% of students got places at Russel group universities!!! What annoys me about that is what they are really say is 70% have only gone to second rate universities! Which of course isn't true when places like Bath and St Andrews aren't in the Russel group. In fact I wonder if these heads really know what the Russel group is! They are only trying to promote some twisted form of elitism!!

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's one of those meaningless things that they say on results day (and post on their website). You're never going to get a head saying "Well, this year our results were a bit carp. It was all down to Wolfgang and Amadeus who messed around, achieved well below their targets and dragged the rest of their classes by an average of 0.5 grade points per child per subject".
    It's the same as the car advertisments which suggest that the only way to driving pleasure is to drive a Rolls Canardly at high speed along the winding mountain road.