1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing my mind over speaking assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nicktheteacher, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hey folks
    It's 4 o'clock in the morning and I've had little sleep worrying over the speaking assessments my year 11 are trying to prepare for.
    They just dont seem to be prepared to do the tasks. I have tried teaching key structures but they don't seem to be able to translate that to the task they need to do.
    I also find it hard as I don't feel the exam board (in this case edexcel) offer enough guidance on what should be produced. My school and I do not feel that we should have to pay the expensive fee to be "trained" by an online course to then mark the coursework for the exam board.
    I think I'm going to have to pay as it's really starting to stress me out. Has anybody done it the training to recommend it?
    I guess I'm just stressing as it's the first time I've done them and I'm not sure what an A*/C/E speaking assessment should sound like. They give a guidance of 4-6 minutes. I'm presuming that means that we should be expecting roughly 4 minutes of speech.
    If anyone can offer me any advice I'd really appreciate it. I want to stick to the rules and am not prepared to let my students get more time than they are allowed but I'm scared that my results are really going to suffer this year as a result.
    Right time to try for a couple of hours sleep before work!!!
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    We do AQA so don't know if this will help, but if you have to do three stages (teaching topic/task and preparation/exam) you could do similiar questions that will be given in stage 2 in stage 1 to get them practising before they have to prepare on their own. You only have to cover two tenses to get A* (along with all the other bits) and emphasis seems to be on opinion and justifications.
    My school paid for me to go on a course only recently and it was really good, though I can understand your school's point of view about spending money on us doing the work.
    We also have a controlled coursework advisor asigned to us from AQA so I run things past him all the time. I check to see if my bullet points are OK and any other query I might have,
    I hope this helps.

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

We're also with AQA and the assigned advisors have been very helpful, they also reply quickly and in detail.