1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing my job to an NQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by adonaielohim, Dec 21, 2015.

1. adonaielohim

adonaielohim New commenter

Hello,

Can someone help. I'm not feeling good about this at all.

My head teacher has recently said that there is not enough money in the budget to "afford me" and that - because I'm on a temporary contract - they will probably offer the current NQT the permanent role and I'll have to say goodbye.

When I probed to see if there was another reason - and asked if I could improve anything - she said that the Year 6 SATS results were very good, but that the writing needs to improve this year. I would agree that writing needs to improve - but I only arrived in Year 6 at the school in the January (2015) - and by that time it was too late to do anything about the writing before the SATs! She has admitted that the whole school needs to improve (it's quite poor for our demographic and capabilities).

Then she said - but even then the budget will dictate!

I feel so deflated by all of this. I've tried so hard and been very dedicated. The school got the most level 6 maths achievers ever last year (with 45% of pupils getting a level 6 in maths) and I'm in charge of higher ability maths. There were about 10 children I entered on that test when other teachers said they weren't good enough - but they all passed!

Is this a common thing - losing out to cheaper NQTs with contracts? Or should I really be concerned that I've been a terrible teacher?!?

Thanks in advance,

Jason.

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It is likely to be the money. If she had other concerns she would have told you. Ensure you keep an eye open for other jobs. You need to put yourself first.

If you signed the post with your own name you may want to have it removed and change your Username.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sounds totally plausible, especially if you are in a fairly small school.
    If you are UPS3, you could well be being paid approx £15,000 more than an NQT, which is a large chunk of a small budget.
    Much as your school may love you, think you are fab, appreciate all you bring to the school, they possibly just can't afford you.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Surprised you got such an honest answer.
    The more traditional way is to stitch you up with dodgy Capability issues.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

At least yo have been warned.so take the hint and look for the job,
    This is a way of getting you out and if year 6 teachers are in short supply you should get a job more easily ,especially if yo can put forward on your CV the achievement you have made.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Can they do this if you have a contract and have been in place over a year? Or are you on supply? Either way I'd still ask your union as I thought they had to have a valid reason for offering temporary work in the first place and I don't think 'until someone cheaper comes along' is a valid reason.

When are they asking you to go by?

7. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

Whilst I'm not sure if someone is allowed to officially go for someone because they are cheaper, it happens all of the time and I'd be pleased they were being honest. I would imagine, the head would be happy to help with references, etc. for any job applications as they've clearly had no problems with your teaching.

One question though - if starting in January was too late to do anything about writing, how can you claim the credit for the level six maths children?