1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing motivation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rainbow_gold, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Im a secondary pgce student, about halfway through my second (and last) placement. It started off well, the general feedback I was getting was quite positive and I was feeling really good about myself. However, lately im just getting less and less motivated about school.
    I have some difficult classes, (but don't we all?), and to be honest the constant battling with them is starting to grind me down. It's all low-level disruption and disrespect towards each other, and I seem to spend minutes of every lesson giving warnings and handing out sanctions. My class teachers are saying keep at it they are improving, but every lesson just feels the same and it is exhausting me. I can feel myself thinking 'Fine you can't be bothered to learn, well I can't be bothered teaching you' - which hasn't happened up until recently :(
    Luckily for me my host department are very supportive, but I know they are going to start noticing soon that I am getting sloppy with my standards. I know so many people have been in this position, so would just appreciate any tips on how to get my motivation back -im not normally a lazy person, but now im just finding it hard to get anything done...

thankyou x

2. Try this
    Each day find just one thing that was good and focus on that. next week, find two things each day and so on.
    'Breaking in' a class does take time and ogften you don't see the improvement until some way down the line you look back and remember just how they woere and see just how much better they are now.
    James