1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing hope...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kristienc, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I recently graduated with a 2.1 on my Politics and International Relations degree, but because it was quite flexible I did some history based modules and security studies modules with it. I have secured a place on a PGCE Post-Compulsary course at Sheffield Hallam which starts in a few weeks time but I'm just getting that little bit fed up.
    Because there aren't many politics teachers jobs around, I thought it would be best to teach history also, so I have secured a placement where I will be teaching a mixture of history and politics, so great news there.
    BUT - I really want to teach politics, and I just know that when I graduate there won't be anything out there for me. I applied for nearly 300 jobs before I got onto this course, teaching was my last option really. I had a bad experience with school and college and nearly didn't go to university at all, so I didn't want to teach because I hated education. However, I've sort of turned that phobia on its head a bit, and now really looking forward to teaching because I want to give students a chance, like I wasn't given, and hopefully teach in more... 'worse off' colleges because I think thats where my heart lies.

So how does everyone get over the phobia of not getting a job and is my subject going to prove really difficult for me?

Thanks for reading :)

2. I recently graduated with a 2.1 on my Politics and International Relations degree, but because it was quite flexible I did some history based modules and security studies modules with it. I have secured a place on a PGCE Post-Compulsary course at Sheffield Hallam which starts in a few weeks time but I'm just getting that little bit fed up.
    Because there aren't many politics teachers jobs around, I thought it would be best to teach history also, so I have secured a placement where I will be teaching a mixture of history and politics, so great news there.
    BUT - I really want to teach politics, and I just know that when I graduate there won't be anything out there for me. I applied for nearly 300 jobs before I got onto this course, teaching was my last option really. I had a bad experience with school and college and nearly didn't go to university at all, so I didn't want to teach because I hated education. However, I've sort of turned that phobia on its head a bit, and now really looking forward to teaching because I want to give students a chance, like I wasn't given, and hopefully teach in more... 'worse off' colleges because I think thats where my heart lies.

So how does everyone get over the phobia of not getting a job and is my subject going to prove really difficult for me?

Thanks for reading :)

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'll not tell you how many teaching applications I've sent this year then... [​IMG]
    Best thing you can do is to be as involved as possible in school life and give you plenty to say on your supporting statement. Start looking for jobs as early as January (no matter how busy you are!) Anything you can do that will make you stand out from the rest will be good for your application. Its always easier to get a job when you have a job (or so it always seems) so just land yourself a teaching job and then aim for your ideal post from there.
    Good luck with the PGCE xx