1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Losing hope and becoming disillusioned

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lucie19, Dec 29, 2010.

1. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

Thanks you are right of course it is my dream and I have to just keep going. The trouble is as a lone parent I have to keep money coming in and although I am apply for all the LSA, TA and CS jobs I see there really aren't many. I am worried if I take a job away from education it will be seen as further evidence of my 'lack of commitment'. For a similar reason I cant change cities I need to be near my family so when I will be late home from school or go in early or go on residentials my mum and sister can look after my children.
    Do you think that taking a job outside of education will further predjudice me?

2. It's a bit of a tricky one as like you say all your experience is related to working with children/young people. However, I agree with Bodegabuttons, in that you may really need to get specific experience in a Humanities dept in a secondary school. Before I entered my PGCE I spent one day in my old high school in the specific dept in the subject I wanted to teach. I was accepted the same year onto my second choice university.
    Although geographical mobility is not a option for you, I would say keep at it. You never know when that opening will appear.