1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

losing good classes

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vicky pollard, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Someone in my department is leaving and we have not yet appointed. I have been told I must give up some good classes to this person. I get the impression that the timetable is being organised so that someone known to SLT may be appointed. Distribution of classes up to now has always been fair. What do you think? How should I proceed?

2. Someone in my department is leaving and we have not yet appointed. I have been told I must give up some good classes to this person. I get the impression that the timetable is being organised so that someone known to SLT may be appointed. Distribution of classes up to now has always been fair. What do you think? How should I proceed?

3. What do you mean by good class?

4. dont want to say too much. exam ones

5. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

If we have to recruit at the end of the year, it typically means we will get an NQT for obvious reasons. And we always try to give "nicer" classes to an NQT or less experienced teacher, just because they are likely to have a more successful year, become a better teacher etc. as even classes that experienced teachers consider "easy / nice" aren't always so for an NQT - but a difficult class they may find doubly so. Nobody likes losing their preferred classes - and we do try to spread this out - but it seems like the best thing to do for the Dept. as a whole - and for the kids.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Fair for you? Fair for other staff? Fair for the children? Fair for everybody? Rarely does fairness exist accross the board.
    You're employed as a teacher. Classes are to be chosen by your Department or SMT...
    How to proceed?
    • Ask your line manager if you can retain one/all of the 'good' classes to find some level of compromise.
    • Put up (and shut up).
    • Find alternative employment.

7. freshfriesan

freshfriesan New commenter

i remember the day that my old hod gave out the timetables a few years back, she had given the then key stage 3 coordintaor a key stage 3 heavy time table, she ran out crying to the dh about it not being fair..... the timetables were all changed, and a yer or so later the key stage 3 coordinator is hod and the old hod has stepped down..... time tables eh? VERY sensitive issue ...

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

just a thought but I am assuming that all staff are having to give up good classes, you say tts have always been fair, the question was asked fair to who? if it was really fair and everyone had their fair share of good classes then an NQT should just be able to slot in with minimal change. it sounds like the person leaving doesn't have many good classes so therefore that timetable needs to be split up. so maybe it wasn't so fair after all

9. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Langteacher- I asked the same thing about fair to whom before. No reply.

Are you the real vicky pollard?

10. I don't want to give too much info but I am beginning to think that they have a person lined up for the vacant post and are moving the goal posts so that this person is the one they have to appoint. I am the Hod of a very small subject but I think I should have a say in timetable and in selecting candidate but I suspect it will just go ahead anyway. I have no objection to working with anyone but they should be capable of doing the job.

11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

you may well be right with your suspicions, we have had a few iffy job appointments that several of us predicted. It happens, shuldn't but it does. Come back and let us know if you were right