1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lOSING GOLDEN TIME - TASKS?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lardylady, May 26, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

The children in my class don't actually lose Golden Time, but those who haven't earned as much as others during the week have to sit and watch. I tend to put 3 fabulous activities out and 2 crap ones. Only 6 childen are allowed at each table and it's first come first served. The children who haven't earned much GT get really frustrated when all the good activities will go first and they're left with colouring in.

2. The ones from each class who have lost GT have to sit in the hall and do nothing, those who have lost just a bit, eventually go back their classes where they find that all the best activities have already been taken up.

3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I used to get mine to do jobs like help tidy the classroom but found that losing golden time seemed to be losing its impact. I decided to switch to the system adopted in my previous school - sitting in the hall in silence. I can testify from supervising this that you really feel every minute , it seems like an eternity, especially if you can hear everyone having fun outside. I'm pleased to report that the numbers sharing this time with me is dropping drastically!

4. At our school, those who've lost GT have to fill in a sheet about what they did wrong (which rule did they break), why is the rule important, and how will they make sure they don't do it again.I'm not sure it has much effect, but I suppsoe at least it focuses their minds on the fact that they're missing GT because of sometning they did. They're also supposed to talk the sheet through with a teacher.

5. and after a week can everyone really remember why they are there?