1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lose voice and kids do hardly anything!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, May 1, 2012.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

We've been practising a retelling of The Three bears for about two weeks using various speaking activities I have taken from Pie Corbett's talk for writing. We started our writing today and what a total disaster! The children had made up their own sentence for each picture to the story and today decided not to bother with them and to ignore our oral work completely! Making up random nonsense! Nothing they wrote made sense. Gutted.

This wasn't helped by the fact that I've had a bad sore throat for a few days and have a faint whisper of a voice! The lesson was supposed to last just over an hour. After nearly 2 hours (including a missed break) some children had written 2 maybe three rubbish sentences. I could just cry.

2. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

We've been practising a retelling of The Three bears for about two weeks using various speaking activities I have taken from Pie Corbett's talk for writing. We started our writing today and what a total disaster! The children had made up their own sentence for each picture to the story and today decided not to bother with them and to ignore our oral work completely! Making up random nonsense! Nothing they wrote made sense. Gutted.

This wasn't helped by the fact that I've had a bad sore throat for a few days and have a faint whisper of a voice! The lesson was supposed to last just over an hour. After nearly 2 hours (including a missed break) some children had written 2 maybe three rubbish sentences. I could just cry.

3. Don't cry. Have some days off work. You should not be working with no voice, trying to communicate with children. Have complete rest, lots of fluids, steam inhalations. Try not to talk at all, and don't whisper. Forget the lousy writing for now and deal with it with renewed vigour when your health has returned. Best of luck.