1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Los Angeles Schools Closure

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cissy3, Dec 15, 2015.

1. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes.

What an operational nightmare it must be for everyone involved.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ee bah gum.

Anyone remember the bomb scares in the 80s? We'd stand outside in the rain for a bit and then troop back in.

Now that's the British way. ;)

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, I remember there being lots of them!

I think a lot of them were 'phoned in by disgruntled pupils in the wake of the IRA bombings.

(Or maybe even disgruntled staff!)

Seriously though, it's a huge area to cover. Apparently it's the second biggest school district in the USA.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I expect there'll be many copycat events. And most WILL be due to the types of person you describe @cissy3

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Gosh, I remember getting soaked a number of times!!!

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

There was one at my school in 2006 or 7 I think. We all had to go and sit out on the recreation ground next to the school and wait till the scene was cleared. We ended up out there for hours because we'd gone as far away as possible and when they finished, the police forgot to tell us that we could go back.
    We also got locked in the building in 2009 I think, because there was supposedly a guy with a rifle in one of the neighbouring towerblocks pointing it towards the school. I think it turned out to be a walking stick.

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

''New York City officials said they received the same threat that closed LA schools but concluded it was a hoax.''

Latest from beeb.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I remember bomb scares in the 90s from the Gulf War... lot of diplomatic kids at my school and we had a bomb threat called in ... bomb was supposed to be in the computer lab, so we lined up on the basketball court... right next to the glass windows the computer lab.

It was a really well thought out plan.