1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lords to block forced academy conversions?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by NQT1986, Dec 14, 2015.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I don't know if they have debated it yet and what the outcome might have been, but whatever, isn't it a bit late now? Pretty much all schools around me are academies.

RIP LEAs which of course was the real intention. Nothing to do with school quality control.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

I wonder if anyone has news about this?

4. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Most primaries around here aren't academies! Still worth preventing if we can, I think.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Didn't Osbourne announce in the Budget that all schools would be Academies by 2020?

6. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

I think it will be sooner than that.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

All secondaries - but ours already are. Most of the primaries, too. LA told them some years ago it could no longer provide adequate support for them.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I heard that the neighbouring LA has basically closed up shop and forced all primaries and secondaries to become Academies. My local LA has held on to four Academies but that can't last much longer... the more resources drained away from them the less support they can provide.

9. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It is worth going on strike if your school is being forcibly academised. Many parents are also spotting that the emperor's new clothes are just an illusion. Some academies have been stopped in their tracks.
    Also, you can't keep a lid on the malpractice for ever. Let's call it the Paris academy chain obliges all its employees not to disclose why they left even though the turnover of staff at about 40% per year kind of speaks for itself.
    Now is not the time to be passive about this or wait for MPs and LEAs to do something about it.
    Our county council was almost to a last man sacked and replaced with fixed term contract good boys and girls who do as they are told. The current government are so committed to the academy dogma that they have made sure that there are no real teachers left in some schools.
    Academies don't have to pay facility time to unions if they choose not to so whole divisions are just swamped with work and don't have the staff to begin to deal with it. The new Trade Union Bill will put the final nail in the coffin.
    It is vital that teachers start attending union meetings and getting involved.
    I have been to really important meetings where only me and the rep bothered to turn up. The union will not swoop in like some avenging angel. You are the union.
    There is still time to make a stand if you don't want to be working for peanuts in some privatised dystopia run by people who just want kids to pass formulaic exams by trotting out dreary stuff by rote.
    The time for dithering has passed. If you don't like it, do something about it.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When you use the "strike" weapon, you have to be sure to pick battles you can win. I doubt very much this is one as evidenced by the fact that academies are so wrong and still nobody is speaking against them in the media or the political parties.

Just remember what happened to the coal miners.

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think striking against excessive workload and monitoring in individual schools is a better tactic. You just need the staff to have a backbone to take action.

12. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

This is the kind of cowardly language that prevents teachers from doing what needs to be done. Are you so frightened that you need to talk about a failed industrial action from 30 years ago. A lot of teachers weren't even born then. Next you'll point to the Tolpuddle martyrs as an excuse to do nothing.

The miners have been devasted because it is cheaper to import coal rather than mine it here. Miners are therefore not needed. Teachers however, are very much needed and properly organised would be a very powerful political force. They are in other countries.

Time to get out from under your bed and fight for your profession.

lanokia and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

And if the miners hadn't gone on strike what would have happened? A jolly love-in with Maggie herself recognising their valuable contribution to the running of the country?

Or lots of closures and much dodgier working conditions?