1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lord says pensioners should do voluntary work or lose their pensions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Feb 16, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's that b*gger Bichard again (yes, the one whose ludicrous report gave us the expensive, over bureaucratic and over the top system of child protection that makes the UK the laughing stock of much of the rest of the world). Now he want to steal your pension...

"In a scathing attack on Britain's older generation, Lord Bichard, former chief of the Benefits Agency, accused them of being a "negative burden on the state". "

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644601/Elderly-people-community-work-lose-pension-Lord-Bichard

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

He can **** right off!

knitone, kibosh, sabrinakat and 4 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, I do volunteer. The problem with it is that it costs me money to give my time for free. Travelling expenses are not negligible, refreshments cost too.

When I retired, I tried very hard to find volunteering opportunities. It took ages and a considerable effort and I really resent some jumped up **** telling me I'm a negative burden. So I'm living in the lap of luxury am I. That'll be why we're cutting back on everything we can and shopping in discount stores, reducing the heating and not having holidays then.

So he can **** off to the far side and then some more!

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Have just looked at the article and seen the picture of him. Nasty looking piece of work and no mistake!

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Oh what it must be like to be an unelected Lord able to say anything he wants to. No doubt we should all join the house of Lords with average expences of £ 21 000.

I begin to see why the French gave their Lords the chop over 200 years ago. Perhaps he will suggest we should eat cake?

"Lord Bichard's index-linked pension is in excess of £120,000 per annum"

"House of Lords expenses: £21,000 a year per Lord"

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2012/1...ons-is-a-sir-humphrey-retired-on-120k-a-year/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2010/nov/25/lords-data-store

kibosh and Lascarina like this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

"Older people who are not very old could be making a very useful contribution to civil society"

• I assume he means state pension age which is rising to 66 and higher. Where does 'older but not very old' start?
    • What sort of voluntary work does he expect a bed/ chair bound arthritic 77 year old to be doing?
    • the charity sector, the care of grandchildren, care of the very elderly is enabled by the (not recognised as voluntary) work of the retired
    • my useful contribution to society consists of using services and consuming in such a way as keeps many in employment
    edit: Moreover, I have been unofficially volunteering to support a disabled person for years whilst still working full time. When it becomes compulsory I shall cease.

kibosh, ValentinoRossi and Lascarina like this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Didn't he make these comments 3 years ago?

10. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Cheeky *******. That's b*a*s*t*a*r*d.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm too gobsmacked to say anything.

My pensioner Mum starts chemotherapy tomorrow, hoping to postpone the terminal part of her terminal cancer. Is she a drain on society compared to this oily heap of s.hite Bichard?

kibosh, minnie me and ValentinoRossi like this.
  12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

D'accord. I have done my bit and been robbed of thousands by this Tory bunch of illegitimi.

HelenREMfan and kibosh like this.
  13. lizziescat

I would like your post Middlemarch but somehow that doesn't seem right.

Lara mfl 05 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

not sure when, @Crowbob, but the article's dated today.
    What a complete ankle. (this apparently is an australian insult, which are not known for their mildness. and it gets past the filter :p)

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I thought the idea was you got a pension because you had paid into it for 40 years, not sat on your bum in the House of Lords, 'pontificating' about a reality you actually have no knowledge about...

Middlemarch, guinnesspuss and CWadd like this.
  16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I suggest that his Lordship takes his opinion, wraps it in the dried outer skin of a Trichocereus chiloensis and inserts it into the orifice he is mistakenly using for communication

HelenREMfan and kibosh like this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Pensioner (nearly) says Lords should do anything apart from turning up when they have nothing better to do and claiming £300 for the effort.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What an R Sole he is!

20. lizziescat

On a practical note. How would this be administered /checked? Presumably there would have to be a list of certified organisations you could volunteer for (wouldn't these need an OFSTED style inspection to counter fraud etc). Pensioners would have to get their work 'signed off' (need for an admin assistant or two in each organisation) a govt dept would need to verify the work and pass on to pensions department the names or the 'worthy' . Clearly, as mistakes happen occasionally, an appeals procedure and appeals dept would need to be set up. Obviously some might abuse the system -so a fraud dept would be necessary.

Can't see anything going wrong here then? Nor that it might cost more to administer than the pension itself!!

rosievoice, minnie me, marlin and 2 others like this.