1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lord of the flies advice and resources..grrrrrr.

Discussion in 'English' started by lizfee, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have just taken over a top set year 10 (A to C) group of boys and we are studying LOTF.(From my HOD who is off long term) I have had 3 lessons on it and so far one lesson was a nightmare trying to tone down their serious cockiness (grr)... and the other two have been pretty boring! I tried planning interesting stuff but it has just been a bit "blah". (I've just given up a a bottom set so that may have something to do with it)
    We have just finished chapter one ( i loved it..they didn't really..) and they are doing an chapter by chaper"events tracker" as homework. (how lame!)
    Can anyone help/advise/share resources? I'd be eternally grateful..I'm still up at 12.50 after trying to plan something about connotations of the island and it just looks rubbish :(
    Thanks in advance xxx

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Typing "Lord of the Flies" free lesson resources into google should produce a decent amount of ideas. LOTF must be one of the best resourced books in the history of existence.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

In fact, there are 12 resources on the Resources portion of this very website.

4. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Hey I have an SOW for a top set which I can email across to you if you personal message me your email address. It is a little patchy though, because to be honest, when teaching to high sets I have often found it 'teaches itself'. Yep, the first chapter is always a struggle, but when students are into it (usually by the 'fire on the mountain' chapter at the point when they realise that the first child has died and all of the surroundings are given such animalistic imagery), they generally don't want to participate in activities but seem to prefer just reading and analysing as a class. Hence most of my SOW is a guide/ work of fiction and I usually abandon the activities and just let the kids get on with it.

(God I miss high ability students).

5. I've just taught it to bottom set (targets D-F) ready for exam on 23rd. I had them creating picturegrams with quotations, we made the island, watched both versions of the film, made plasticine and Lego figures (Lego in Ofsted lesson), and read the book too of course.

The only person who didn't enjoy it was the TA, and judging by the revision lessons, they've remembered the characters, themes and events well. Fingers crossed for results day!

6. That sounds lovely Steffi! I may pull out the plastcine too.:) I hope ofsted appreciated your creative idea x