1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

loosing PPA to go to interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by boperella, May 18, 2011.

1. Dear Anyone Who Can Help,
    I am employed on a 1 year temporary contract to cover maternaty which ends at the end of August. I am currently job hunting and have had one (unsuccessful) interview and have 3 more lined up over the next couple of weeks. After hearing about one of them today i informed my HOD. she said i was going to have to start loosing PPA time to attend these interviews as it was getting too many.
    Is this meant to happen? I was under the impression it was not and i did say hopefully i wont have to go to them all because i will have secured a post for September. If they employ me temporarily surely they must realise i will be applying and interviewing for other posts?
    Thanks in advance for any comments or experiences you may share. Just a bit confused really. I know its not great for them to loose me to interviews but ive got to get a job, right?!

2. Dear Anyone Who Can Help,
    I am employed on a 1 year temporary contract to cover maternaty which ends at the end of August. I am currently job hunting and have had one (unsuccessful) interview and have 3 more lined up over the next couple of weeks. After hearing about one of them today i informed my HOD. she said i was going to have to start loosing PPA time to attend these interviews as it was getting too many.
    Is this meant to happen? I was under the impression it was not and i did say hopefully i wont have to go to them all because i will have secured a post for September. If they employ me temporarily surely they must realise i will be applying and interviewing for other posts?
    Thanks in advance for any comments or experiences you may share. Just a bit confused really. I know its not great for them to loose me to interviews but ive got to get a job, right?!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It would be a bit harsh to lose PPA due to being on an interview, but the 10% time might reduce in line with the number of days you have out.

But at the same time, a HT wouldn't be too impressed if someone asked for their PPA 'back' if an interview fell on PPA day.

4. I was told by my bursar and deputy that because my contract was temporary, it should be expected that I will be going to lots of school visits and interviews, particularly as we're in an area of particularly high levels of competition (150+ for each job). They've been really happy to let me go on visits and interviews as necessary, but they also know I'm going during my PPA time too and that any I do during school time are ones I couldn't fit into my PPA time. Maybe I've just been lucky - speak to your union maybe?