1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loop Card Generator (free!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Brenden, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

UPDATE - As a result of dillsage's astute observations, I have reprogrammed the text-based flashcard generator to prevent multiple identical questions or answers. This has resulted in limits being applied to the number of cards you can produce for certain set types.

The most severely affected are single digit addition - now restricted to 9 cards - and single digit doubles, now limited to 19 cards. Where the limit is above 47, it is not labelled because most people shouldn't be trying to create any more than that.

This one was certainly a mind-bender and has had me pacing the room a number of times. It's approaching "I should be paid for this", so I'm going to take a little break, then attempt the same thing for image sets.

2. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

UPDATE - The one image-based flashcard set that randomly generates its values, Analogue Clocks, is now set to avoid duplicate answers.

3. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

Thanks for all your hard UNPAID!!!! work.

4. doc can't be found, how do I find it!!

5. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Internet Explorer has some problems with PDF files, mtong. Hopefully when you click on "Download PDF", you are given the options to open it or save it on your computer. Try saving it first, then opening it from where you saved it.

6. Ooo thanks Brenden - sorry if it gave you a headache! I knew it could cause problems because I've had a loop collapse before and it was very frustrating (not to mention confusing!). (PS I like being considered 'astute'. Sounds so much nicer than 'picky'!) We'll be trying the doubles one tomorrow. Ta.

7. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Poppy_Red - After much deliberation, the amount of time and effort required to make a "random mix of multiply and divide by tens and hundreds, with no duplicate answers" exceeds that which I am currently willing to put into this no-returns investment. If I wake up at 2am with sudden inspiration and manage to figure it out, I'll let you know!

8. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Good news for site owners:

There is now a little box underneath the main one that links to a random "site that links to us". So if anyone links to my site, I link back!

9. Just to say that we've been using the loop cards for doubling and have definitely improved our skills, so thanks! I used the single digit set (they had to share as there aren't many in this set) and then added a zero to each number, so we could practise doubling multiples of ten, because they got too confused by doubling 2 digit numbers straight off. But the more able are now really getting the hang of doubling 2 digits, and they all enjoy the class collaboration. Thanks very much - really appreciate your effort.

A minor improvement could be to swap question and answer sides (if not too complicated), because, apart from the very first person, everyone has to read the right-hand side before the left (bit tricky for the less able to start with, though they all got there pretty quickly).

10. brilliant!!

11. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

dillsage - I don't quite understand how this will help, but I have just programmed a checkbox that will let you reverse the cards so the 'questions' are on the left instead of the right. Due to complications with inserting images, this only words for text-based flashcards.

12. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

*only works for text-based flashcards

Thanks for bringing this thread back up to the top, dillsage - for the last few weeks I have been busy with real-life projects that are actually financially viable and distracted by some other little projects that aren't, so the site has only gotten an average of 20 visits a day for the last two weeks.

13. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Gosh, dillsage, I programmed a whole new feature for you, where'd you go?

14. Oops, sorry Brendan - I don't have time to get on here every day! Thanks very much for the side-swap - I know it sounds trivial, but I have a high proportion of SEN children, and it's easier for them the other way round (some have only just learned to read left to right, so it's a bit confusing if they have to do the opposite!)
    Cheers. (Anyway, this should push it back up the listings!)
    By the way, we did maths assessments last week, and one thing they were almost all good at was doubling... Ta!

15. For Brendan:
    I've just looked at the single digit addition - and found that they are the opposite way round to the doubling cards (that probably explains why you didn't understand why I'd want to swap the sides round - maybe only the doubling ones were that way round - but that was the only set I'd downloaded).
    Now to be really picky... How hard would it be to rearrange it so that the question is 'What is 3+2?' and the answer is '5' (so every child can practise working out all the answers, rather than just the one calculation they are holding). Sorry if it already works like that and I'm being daft.
    (Meanwhile I will make a donation towards costs.)

16. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

I was just about to email you when I thought to check here. Thanks a lot for your donation, it really means a lot to me.

I'll look into programming a selection between "I have/who has" and "what is". This thing is getting big!

17. I just had a go now! This is amazing!! I just wish I had a class of my own to use them with :p Might just get some friends around and play with it over Christmas ;)

Thank you!

18. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

I have taken a moment from my hectic "everybody wants something programmed" schedule to add the newest request:

Now, whenever a text-based loopcard set had "who has [answer] / I have [question]", you now have the option to change it to "what is [question]? / [answer]"

19. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

After putting the structure in place, I have expanded the options:

Who has [answer]? / I have [question]
    Who has [question]? / I have [answer]
    What is [question]? / [answer]
    [question] / [answer]

Naturally, ticking the 'reverse cards' checkbox changes the loop order from right-to-left to left-to-right in each of these cases

20. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

dillsage, I've just had a closer look at the card order and it looks to me that the doubles and the single addition are the same order..

[question | answer]

Where "3-2" and "double 7" are 'questions'. Did you mean to have "double 7" counted as an answer instead?