1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loop Card Generator (free!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Brenden, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Wow, these look great! Can I mak a request? Can we have some multiply & divide by 10 and 100 cards? They would be perfect for my class!

x x

2. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Ooops, meant 'make'... got a bit excited there!

3. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Hello Poppy_Red - Are you looking for 4 different sets (multiply by 10, divide by 10, multiply by 100, divide by 100) or a big jumble of them all in the same set? Four separate ones I can do easily, but jumbled may take a bit of time to work out.

My schedule is packed for the next 15 hours, but I'll try to get them going as soon as I can.

4. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

HI THERE Not sure if my email arrived to you about alpha testing. Mine is mhf_35@hotmail.com
    Have a good weekend

5. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Hi Brenden,

For my class a jumble would be great, but separate sets for divsion/multiplication by 10/100 might be useful to others,especially when introducing this topic.

x x

6. Hi, this is a great idea, but I think I've found a bit of a hitch with some of the maths ones. The doubling and halving single digits won't work too well because some numbers are repeated, so the loop can short-circuit (I've had this happen in the past and it gets very confusing!) I can't see a way round it - I just think you can't really do a loop with single digit numbers unless you have an even tinier class than my 14. I'll use the double digit doubling, but we're not quite ready for halving double digits yet, unless both the digits are even (probably a bit too complicated to sort out?)

7. fab thank you

8. wow these are great - I think I love yu :)

9. Thankyou so so so much you are an absolute superstar!!! xx

10. WoW! These are amazing thank you xxx

11. Super resource. Thanks.
    Just a heads up synonyms has two typos odor (odour) and miostakes (mistake).

12. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

WOW!!!! Thankyou very much for this. You have saved me so much time!

13. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Hey guys! It looks like my little holiday went for three times as long as I thought it would so I'm a little late on the replies. I'll go backwards.

Reb1Mc - Thanks! I have fixed those two typing errors. I might have had the American spelling in mind when I typed Odor - don't panic, I'm not American! How amusing that I made a mistake when typing the word 'mistake'.

dillsage - According to my calculations, because there is always a match to each question, the loops going differently should be fine PROVIDED that you set the rule that nobody can link with the first person until everyone else has been used. Using the 'wrong' answer card to a question will simply shift a section of the other cards around until the 'correct' answer card is where the 'wrong' one should have been. I'll have to do some experimenting to verify this, and if it is a big issue I'll look into writing some code to reduce duplicates (not easy).

Poppy_Red - I have a bit to catch up on since I was away for longer than expected; I'll get to putting together the 10,100s,mixed systems when I can.

14. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Wow, the site got 249 visits while I was away! For the first time, the loopcard generator greatly exceeded the spelling list generator, and 77% of those hits came from the TES. I also made Link Of The Week on a new site called KS2Teaching.wikipages.com - Thanks everyone!

15. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

I have decided to drop the advertising banner from the loopcard generator because it was annoying and ineffective. Two gloriously wonderful donators contributed to my hosting the approximate amount that the advertising banner would have returned after about 15,000 visits.

£3.

16. skigirl

skigirl New commenter

thank you for this fab resoucre - we are doing time at the mo in my year 3 class so will be eagerly trying this out tomorrow.

just curious what is the address of your other site- with the sttress buster???

s

17. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Oh, the rest of the site is just an experimental little project of mine that I did a while ago. I'll be improving it soon, with any luck. The specific "stress buster" section can be found here

http://random.brendenisteaching.com/rand/stressbuster.htm...

The random entries are riddled with typing errors, mainly because the database was something that I did with that late hour of the night where I'm not quite tired enough to sleep but aren't awake enough to use too much cognition.

18. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

I've looked into dillsage's problem and noticed that it doesn't work as well as I thought..

For example, the set: 1:2 2:3 3:4 4:5 5:2 2:6 6:7 7:1
    Can be interpreted: 1:2 2:6 6:7 7:1 oh dear

It looks like my algorithm skills need a bit of a workout. This is going to be tricky.

What I think I'll have to do is change the code so that if you pick, for example, 19 cards, then the answers will increment from 0 to 19. That way there won't be any repetitions of questions or answers.

It will also mean that "single digit" equations can only go up to 9+9=19: 20 cards including 0+0

19. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

9+9 is of course 18. Please excuse my... typing error