1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Loop Card Generator (free!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Brenden, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Hello everyone

I have really been on a roll these past few days, with the pattern-based spelling list generator and the PDF flashcard producer. Now I have made an entirely new project - a Loop Card Generator.

Loop cards, sold on many eBay stores, are simple matching games designed for entire class participation. Given a set of cards, each student holds one. On each card is a question (2+5) and an answer (12). In turn, each student must 'link' with the student holding the answer to their question. Ideally, when everyone is finished, the whole class is in a 'loop'.

The problems with pre-produced loop card sets are, as I see them, that A) The set is the same each time, and B) In order to create the entire loop, students will often have to hold more than one card, as class sizes vary.

My new program allows you to select from a range of different types (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, doubles, halves, irregular plurals, money conversion, weight conversion, colour combinations, more as I make them) and produce a full loop of cards of the size you request - anywhere between 2 and 48 students.

All of the number-based loop types are randomly generated, so they'll be different each time, but the ones with set responses (colour combinations, irregular plurals) are fixed in their order*. They will still be made into a proper loop no matter how small you set the limit.

http://random.brendenisteaching.com/loopcards/

- All cards are produced in the Sassoon Primary Infant font -

I am going away for the weekend, but I will be back in about nine hours then again after the weekend to answer questions and address any bugs that appear. Remember that if you were buying these, they could set you back at least £1 a set - please consider the donate button!

*If there is enough demand, or if inspiration strikes me, I will figure out how to randomise these as well. As usual, please let me know if you spot any bugs or have any suggestions.

2. I should mention that all of the sets are produced in PDF format with 16 cards per page. Each card is the same size as the flashcards produced by my other application (http://random.brendenisteaching.com/wordlist/)

I honestly don't know how big they are exactly, so if someone prints out a set, please measure them and let us know!

3. Tease: I am working on a method of importing images into the PDF files. In a few days, I should hopefully have in place the mechanism for generating loop cards with all sorts of pictures including clocks, coins, cliparts, anything. It'll be great.

4. These sound absolutely fantastic. And if you could do them with pictures/symbols on then that would help enormously.

5. Sounds like a great idea but I keep getting an error message, 'This file can not be found'. What am I doing wrong??

6. Thank you for these. They're brilliant!

7. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

thanks, really useful

8. MzB

MzB

Fantastic! Lovin the fact u can do large classes. ll the ones I get are for 30 chn! Very handy as like to give bright chn and those that fiddle 2 as well to keep awake!

I also had error message but saved file straightaway rather than open!

Keep em coming!

9. Browsers can be very fickle when it comes to opening and saving PDF files. I have tweaked the code so it tries to show the file inline rather than force you to download it, but if you get any 'file not found' errors, the best solution is usually to save it on your computer and then run it.

10. thanks they are fab!

11. Well, while you lot have been mooching around ignoring this thread, I have been REVOLUTIONISING this MAGNIFICENT PRODUCT. More specifically, I have finished developing this generator's number one most requested feature: support for images.

Here is the list of text-based loop card generators:
    - Addition (single digits)
    - Addition (double digits)
    - Subtraction (single digits)
    - Subtraction (double digits)
    - Multiplication (up to 12x)
    - Division (up to 12x)
    - Doubles (single digits)
    - Doubles (double digits)
    - Halves (single digits)
    - Halves (double digits)
    - Roman Numerals (up to 30)
    - Irregular Plurals (15 of them)
    - Rhyming Words (29 of them)
    - Dollars and Cents
    - Pounds
    - Kilograms and Grams

And this is the list of loop card generators that include images:

- Analogue Clocks
    - Egyptian Numbers (12)
    - Color Combinations (7)

One update that I'm especially proud of is a change that allows the static-set collections (roman numerals, irregular plurals, rhyming words) to be randomised each time.

I have also added a Title Card that you can put at the top of your pack for easy identification, softened the borders a bit by making them blue, and added a mid-way page so you can choose to click on the PDF link directly or right click and save it. I have also added a page full of samples, although these are now slightly outdated already after some minor stylistic changes.

So, go nuts! Let me know if you find any problems at all, and also let me know if there are any topics you'd like to see covered.

I'm a little peeved at my server at the moment - I had developed a wonderful analogue clock script that dynamically generates the clock each time, but the server decided it would have none of that, so I had to generate and save 48 different clock faces for it to open directly. Oh well, live and learn.

12. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

This is sooooooo brilliant. I love the fact you can set it for a class of....wait for it......9. Beore you all start going what how easy and all that they ALL are EBD so often feels like 30!!
    What a fabulous resource. Any chance there might be pics to go with the rhyming words at some point because many of them also have huge Literacy probs!

What a clever person you are :)

13. These look really good but cant get my head around how to use them (being really thick!) OFSTED in next week and would like to maybe do for M&O starter one day or plenary coud you let me know how to use them???

14. Here's one way to play:

* Print off a set according to your subject, level and amount of students
    * Each student gets one card
    * Each card has a question (say, 4+4) and an answer (9).
    * Going through each student, they read out the question on their card.
    * A student (there may be multiple) with the correct answer joins that student and sits on their left.
    * Look at the question on the newly seated student's card and find a student with a correct answer.
    * Continue until everyone is linked.
    * The last question and the first answer should link.

Ideally, and I have developed these to allow this to happen, the students should all end up in one big loop. When you generate the cards, notice how each one links with the next and the last links with the first.

15. Thank you Brenden your a star!!!
    I think my chidlren will enjoy this

16. EBD35 - Thanks for the support! I'm glad you see them as useful. Would you prefer half of the rhyming words to be replaced with images, half of them to be shown along with images behind them (that is, an image and label on one side, just a label on the other), or all of them to be shown along with images? Naturally I'll have to use clipart, as I'm not much of an artist myself!

17. Update -I just realised I'm too tired to type in a straight line, so I'm going to lay off the important literacy aspects for now lest I fill up the system with embarrassing typos. Some new searches have been made

- Synonyms
    - Antonyms
    - Contractions
    - Homophones

These are all text based. Off I go to update the sample page!

18. These are absolutely fantastic! Will definitely be using them. Well done.

19. EBD35

So do you mean picture of cat on left of card to be matched with word hat on right of next card?

I think somehow images to be a prompt for the words would be better.
    Me getting confused!!!

20. EBD35

WHOA this resource is getting better and better all the time! Homophones Yippee just what I'm doing tomorrow. My kids will love you.
    Where in the country are you?