1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looks like my holiday's going belly up!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Jan 28, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Congrats on the new baby and a great holiday!
    I'm just back from my holiday too - and it was absolutely super. The people are desparately trying to make a living but finding things so difficult with so few tourists at the moment. Nice for us - less queueing for temples, etc - but awful for those relying on our money in order to survive!

2. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Good to hear you enjoyed your hols!

3. Glad that you had a good time too Impis. The whole trip was amazing and I also appreciated that the sites were not crowded. It was sad to walk through the lounges of so many boats that were not sailing and ours was just over half full. However the Egyptian people were very positive about their New Egypt and so very happy to have got rid of Mubarek. I never once felt threatened, once I got used to being harassed by everyone trying to sell something. Some people in our group were very good at haggling, but I'm not that keen. I would definitely recommend it as a brilliant holiday, but don't think that I would cope with the temperatures in the Summer. It was just right when we were there.

4. Really pleased to hear that both Mammal and Impis had great holidays. I wonder if I could be really cheeky and ask who you travelled with? My partner and I were booked to go on a Nile Cruise in July (I know it will be really hot, but the timing worked for us.) However... we discovered yesterday that the company we booked with has gone into receivership and our holiday is off. We're looking at new cruises but would love some personal recommendations if possible.
    I'm not sure if you can name companies within the thread, if you'd rather not mention them publicly, please PM me.
    Thanks.

5. impis

impis New commenter

We went with first choice.
    A large range in prices though - depending on when you booked. Some people booked it a year ago - and paid £1000 per person. [though they might have had the bigger cabins for that price]
    We paid £750 per person, booked before xmas.
    Another couple on the boat booked just the week before and paid £580 per person.
    I've just looked on the first choice website, and if you were to go next week [on the 27th] it would cost just £470 per person.
    That's All Inclusive!
    Mind you, it's always cheaper during term time - and in the summer too when most people would think it too hot.
    Just a word of warning - in July and August, temperatures of 50 - 55 degrees centigrade are not unusual. Even the Egyptions struggle in that heat.

6. I've been to Egypt twice in August.
    1st time to Sharm then last year to Luxor, have to agree about temp.
    From mid-day to about 5o'clock it really is mad dogs and English men.
    1st time we went to Cairo, visited museum which was fab then onto the Pyramids which were also fab but as we arrived there at midday the heat was horrendous.
    If you go in summer, siestas by the pool are recomended.