1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looks like my holiday's going belly up!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Yes I was pleased to see that too. I'm leaving getting any jabs I need until the last minute though. I don't fancy getting injections and finding that I'm staying at home.

2. impis

impis New commenter

***! I forgot about those!

3. Hi Impis - It seems that the holiday to Egypt is still on. I had two jabs on Thursday, covering 5 different things and still have a painful left arm so hope that it is all worth it. I'm shopping for a new swimming cossie and a big hat this week. My OH isn't sure what to take re money so I wonder what you are going to do about that. It's certainly turning out to be a year of problems around the world. My trip to the Isle of Man in June sounds very appealing now!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

There was a demonstration in downtown after juma'ah prayers, whist I was there and on subsequent Fridays, mbut the police just block the whole area off. King Abdullah has replaced the Prime Minister and the Jordanians are incredibly loyal to their King.

My worry now is that I am supposed to be going to a wedding in Tripoli in Libya in July, I really don't know what will happen, so am keeping options open. Also 2 friends have disappeared in Tripoli, Libyan students here don't have any money so can't pay for accomodation or food and most flights to Tripoli are cancelled. Difficult position for them.

5. impis

impis New commenter

Yep - I've had those too - a couple of weeks ago.
    I've interrogated a colleague who went on a Nile cruise last Easter. He says that if we''re staying 'all inclusive' we wont' need much money at all. Every thing is Egypt is very cheap. You can use cash points all over the place, if you need to. He reckons that we'd need barely £100 for a week's spending money. He did reccommend that we take pound coins as these are readily accepted as tips. I've saved up over £100's worth - the only worry being that they actually weigh quite alot. Best not go swimming while wearing them round my waist in a bum bag!!

6. bnm

bnm

In Egypt we tip in US dollars.....weigh less and more acceptable as coins have to be changed into notes for the tippee to use.

7. impis

impis New commenter

So - won't they accept pound coins? I've got loads of them already and i'm not sure any bank would swap them for dollar coins would they? or are dollars in note form - I really don't have a clue. If i bought £100 worth of dollars, they wouldn't give them me in ones, would they? [the exchange people]

8. bnm

bnm

They will accept pound coins, and gratefully. However, dollars are in notes and I ask for low denomination when I get my holiday money.

9. impis

impis New commenter

Right - I understand now. Thanks.

10. impis

impis New commenter

Should I get any egyptian money, or will the pounds/dollars do?

11. bnm

bnm

I go all inclusive and struggle to spend £200 worth of US dollars (largely tips). I don't take any Egyptian, just the dollars for tips and plastic. However, I loathe shopping so others might spend more. I've not done Nile cruising so don't know if you would need Egyptian for anything.

12. Oh dear - I think we have gone for too much Egyptian money - £300. We haven't got any dollars so I'm wondering how hard it will be to change the Egyptian currency into small amounts for tips. We shall just have to drink a lot as that is the only thing not paid for.

13. impis

impis New commenter

We are all inclusive - so only need tips, and trips money.
    I'm hoping to visit a market while we are there though - and would like to buy some stuff, probably. Maybe a stuffed camel [or 2] for my grandchildren.

14. impis

impis New commenter

Well, almost time to go.
    Flight's at 9am tomorrow.
    I may be gone for a while, unless I can find internet access somewhere - though i did read that all internet had been stopped in Egypt. I'm hoping they've switched it back on now.
    Everyone - all family and friends, - they've all asked me to bring them back a camel. Silly so and sos. Don't they know that there's a weight restriction on the baggage??? My case, is very light - less than 10kg - unless there's something wrong with my scales.
    See you all next week.
    [or possibly in the morning if i've a couple of minutes spare.]

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

sod the family, remember I could fit on a camel, if i add some wheels to it, the OH could pull me along after brum meets to get me home!

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Nae bother, imp:
    [​IMG]
    Should fit in your hand luggage okay. [​IMG]
    Have a fantastic holiday!!

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I live in Cairo so give me a wave as you fly over [​IMG]

18. Got back yesterday from my Egypt trip and had a fantastic time. All the excursions were super and all the better for being a lot less tourists at them all. The boat was lovely and the company great fun. I'm pleased to have all this good weather here now we are back and to catch up on cuddles with my new grandchild, born three days before we went.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Congratulations grandma!

20. Thanks. Lots of cuddles yesterday and today and all the washing dry in the sun. Now for the pile of ironing!