1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looks like HTs are teaching in Wales

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Dec 28, 2018.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

And small school heads often get paid less than deputies/ assistant heads/ heads of large depts in (much) bigger schools.
    No one to properly delegate to either because all your colleagues are trying to coordinate 3 subjects each as well. Which they can’t do effectively.

You’ll find classes with four year groups in areas like rural Lincolnshire.

Ofsted don’t tend to appreciate the problem and call small schools out for not having ‘robust management structures’ ... difficult when there are only 4 of you on the staff.

Hence the growth of the executive head

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

simonCOAL - couldn't have put it better myself!

I am a small school headteacher - 4 teachers including me!

Yet parents choose us because we are small!

stonerose and digoryvenn like this.
  4. simonCOAL

Did it for 3 years @Marshall. Only just made it! A 7 day a week job for long periods.

We were well oversubscribed too.

Ofsted came in. Informal comment by an inspector after school one evening “We were talking about you last night Simon. Amazing. We don’t know how you do it!”

No such comment in the report, only something about leadership not being outstanding due to no embedded systems in place. The fact I had only been there for 8 months and had started this aspect from scratch obviously wasn’t worth mentioning on paper.

The affect on me was to say ‘s@d it. I can’t do any more’ and got out before they returned.

Toughest job I’ve ever had.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

"Looks like HTs are teaching in Wales"

So are they in England in the type of schools referred to - small rural primaries.

6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

The inspection process needs some changes to reflect on the very wide variety of schools that we have. There is no way that you can compare a 700, 300, pupil school against a small school (below 100). The local authority needs to understand this too - mine doesn't at all.

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. simonCOAL

Sorry to say that this was my experience too. Our LA link advisor, then improvement partner’s termly round was to come to us the day after her visit to a 400 pupil place up the road.

We were given exactly the same points to develop as them e.g. giving release time for subject leads to observe lessons. She couldn’t see the logistic problem or the financial difficulties this caused. I ended up covering almost every release lesson, meaning teaching 100% of that particular week as well as being expected to run the place... the same admin as a 100 staff school but with smaller numbers to input into the spreadsheet boxes.

I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you anymore more.

digoryvenn and Marshall like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

simonCOAL - we need to tell someone and fight this.

Trouble is almost all of my energy goes on running a small school.

digoryvenn likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I don't think many people understand how difficult it is.
    I worked 7 days a week for three years. It was very tough.

Marshall likes this.
  10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I survived double that only by moving to schools working together so I could lose some teaching time in order to survive. Ofsted used to put more interesting comments in their reports years ago now they are very bland and generic with huge generalisations and assumptions that just don’t fit small schools.

digoryvenn and Marshall like this.
  11. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

The present inspection process needs endings and replacing with HMI.

nomad and blazer like this.
  12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Perhaps all heads (including execs) should have to teach, advisors and inspectors too. And they should be checked regularly to make sure they are not timetabled but always finding a reason not to. Make their life more like it is for the rest of us.
    Advisors who just copy and paste their comments from report to report are a waste of money.