1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looks as though a Head is only as good as their last Ofsted...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Keighleigh, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Read in a local paper about a Head 'disappearing' from school Wednesday before half term after school put in a category. Drafted in Head of a federation and he left, with his management team within 2 days! Ousted by staff and parents. They don't know what's happening, sounds awful.

Quite scary really. Reading threads about losing staff backing etc on here. Consequences of a poor report not looking good. Does a Head 'have' to go if their school in SM? No chance of trying to improve it?

Just thinking how vulnerable you are as a Head when standards start slipping...

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Read in a local paper about a Head 'disappearing' from school Wednesday before half term after school put in a category. Drafted in Head of a federation and he left, with his management team within 2 days! Ousted by staff and parents. They don't know what's happening, sounds awful.

Quite scary really. Reading threads about losing staff backing etc on here. Consequences of a poor report not looking good. Does a Head 'have' to go if their school in SM? No chance of trying to improve it?

Just thinking how vulnerable you are as a Head when standards start slipping...

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The original HT or the HT drafted in?

4. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

The drafted in one.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Usually - if you've been there more than a year, you're toast, I'm afraid and it's unlikely you'd get another headship.
    This is precisely why I advise people to take their time going for headship, because it's such a precarious position and the younger you're appointed the longer you've got to work in it.

6. Have heard interesting things about a primary school supported by a Primary Academy (was outstanding school before taking Gove's shilling) for two years, just had v,v,v,poor ofsted! Has the academy head fallen on their sword for the trash support "you must do it our way not your way"........have they hell !!!!!!!!!! Heaven help the other schools that the LA has forced under their wing, what a waste of money!!!!!

7. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

In theory, when a school falls into a category - usually due to poor results - the lead inspector has two options open to him.
    Notice to Improve (where the inspector is happy that the current management can improve things, based on accurate self-evaluation and how they have improved things in the past).
    Special Measures - when results are very low and the management doesn't seem to be able to improve things.
    The wording of the Special Measures report - "the people responsible for leading, managing or governing are not demonstrating the capacity to secure the necessary improvement." makes it very difficult for headteachers to carry on.
    It varies between local authorities what happens next. Ours has a general policy of trying to keep the head in place with support until at least the first monitoring visit, and the three schools I know who have been placed in a category have come out of it with the same headteacher. Others seem to instantly dismiss the headteacher.
    It makes you wonder whether there has been any analysis of headteacher applications to schools in different categories. It seems that a 'satisfactory' school in a deprived area is much more likely to slip into a category than an outstanding school in a more affluent setting. What impact does this have on headteachers applying for jobs? Do borderline satisfactory schools get less applications? Aren't these the very schools which need the best pool of candidates to choose from???

8. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

As an aspirant Head, scary reading!!! I'll be looking really closely at any school I apply for. Just find the whole way it has happened quite cold and quick! Heads have homes and bills too, what a terrible experience. Guess nobody is secure nowadays...

9. It certainly is. Wobbly satisfactory schools and the ones that have been in categories previously are the ones that tend to go into categories. Ofsted know this because there were many cases a few years ago where SM schools improved and were put into NtI, then sometimes slipped back into SM. Nowadays SM schools when they come out of SM are solidly satisfactory or good. This tends to arrest the problem. Ofsted's publication 'The journey from Special Measures' at http://bit.ly/gmvU2q is also scary reading for heads of schools in SM, since it's clear that those schools make most progress to get out of SM when the head is out of the way!

10. I know which school would be the hardest to take on-an outstanding school in an affluent setting, Only one way to go and you'd be very lucky to gain any acknowledgement for anything you do. Sucuring change would be a challenge too!!!!!!

11. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Maybe so, but if results fall 10% or so you're now good and explaining yourself to the governors/parents. You wouldn't have too much difficulty moving on to another school. Satisfactory + 10% fall and your career is over.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I totally agree.
    I know which I'd choose though. Every time!

13. Totally agree. problem is, for my LA, the plethora of small schools (<60 pupils) who cannot attract a HT (generally because of the teaching commitment being 50%+) and therefore they become vulnerable quickly and then the downward spiral of no HT and parents moving children to another school, makes the small school unviable (we have one with 16 pupils now due to HT problems). GBs have little or no hope of finding a sole HT because they pay so little on the scale (point 7 approx) and are reluctant to federate or partner another school and share a HT. Scary and sad for all involved.