1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking young and not being taken seriously

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ellie_rose, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Polo-at 31 I was in the same situation as you then when I got to 32 I must have suddenly aged because I was only getting asked 50% of the time and now I am 33 it is about 10% of the time.
    I have found that you do start to age quickly through your 30s!! Maybe when I'm 34 I might be looking like an adult lol :)

2. I'm 23 and I have quite a round face so I look young.
    I'm the youngest teacher in the school by at least 5 years. Sometimes I worry that this has an effect on my authority but I don't let that come across in my teaching. It's my classroom and I expect things to be done a certain way.
    I took a gap year and it's insane when I think that if I'd gone straight from college and taken the 3 year route, rather than the 4, I'd be in my third year of teaching by now! I'm summer born and I can't imagine teaching when I was barely out of 20!

3. Conrad81

Conrad81 New commenter

Possibly they are inflating your ego? Could they be confirming ideas that you imagine to be true? You are already imagining everyone to be talking about you, so this could be true.

I think that if indeed you do look young, to students you won't, if you do, this can also be an advantage. You will seem more with it, and relevant to them, regardless of if you totally aren't.

4. I would gladly trade!!! I'm coming up 24 and all too frequently get mistaken for being late 20s- early 30s. Utterly crushing!
    To the kids, you're still going to be seen as "old" and when you consider that the things that identify youthfulness are often things to do with beauty (smooth skin, no wrinkles, no bags, slim, etc etc etc), it explains why people think it's socially acceptable to comment on it when they wouldn't say, "but you look so OLD!" Same as people will comment on a "nice slim figure" when they won't say someone is flabby and overweight, or why comments on looks are about prettiness or "I love that blouse!" instead of, "You're a big of an ugo, aren't you, and what hideous dress sense!"
    (PS. To the person IDed for painkillers- there's actually a very strict "Think 25" policy in most retailers and a wealth of mystery shoppers- not worth the risk of not IDing!)
    Carry yourself with authority and dignity and don't try to be "down with the kids" and you should be fine.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've followed this thread with amusement, as my earlier post will indicate.
    I started teaching in 1981 and looked very young for quite some years - right up until the year I got my first secondary headship, aged 38. I've still got the photo taken of me during my first week in post - goodness me, the difference that the subsequent few years made in a high stress job is staggering.
    Just four years on, I was spending a bit of time in one of our feeder primaries and working alongside a Y1 teacher. Perched on one of those dinky chairs, I was helping a small boy with his reading when his neighbour looked across and said, 'Are you Joe's grandma?'
    Crushed does not even come close, believe me.

6. I am exactly the same! 23 NQT and very young looking, I have had a few comments from parents and staff, at the beginning nobody mentioned it but since a few have said they wondered why a sixth former was in the staff room and is now being said in a nice jokey way. also I think that once they see you can hold your own in the classroom they make more of a joke of it! Like someone else said in the thread the kids respond to it, and a few have said 'miss you are quite young really arent you?' and are fascinated by how old I am. I teach a sixth form group (lower sixth) who are now starting to think about university and are asking for advice as they have noticed I am not long out of uni myself, so that has been a benefit for them and also me in getting to develop better relationships with them.
    Within my department I am constantly teased for being too young to know anything about music or tv or anything like that. I am glad to look young, hopefully it will continue so I will be a youthful 50 year old!!!
    Just ignore the comments, perhaps they are just jealous!? enjoy being young and (relatively!) carefree!!!!! I know I am, good to know we aren't the only ones though!