1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

looking young & being a teacher-advice?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scienceteacher11, Mar 15, 2011.

1. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I'm a TA and i'm 21, sometimes I have to cover lessons and a lot of the time I'm not taken seriously.. it starts off by them genuinally thinking I'm a 6th former i explain im not then its goes into you look young bla, bla, how old are you? And the lessons just gets off on a bad note. I am starting my training this year and when I'm an nqt i will be 22 and still look young! its just really denting my confidence even some of the staff think I'm a 6th former how can I be taken seriously when students don't even realise I'm a member of staff?!

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Do you dress like a tecaher or a 6th former?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Do you dress like a teacher or a 6th former?

4. I'm 5' and definitely NOT 21 x that by 2 and add a bit! I sometimes get mixed up for the kids in the corridor as I am so small - however, I do not get any aggro in the classroom , it's about confidence and having the attitude that they will do as you want - I don't expect them to say no or to misbehave etc and they don't, whereas some of the 6 foot blokes have problems because they are too nice!

5. I had exactly the same problem and still do sometimes with students and some teachers seeing me as a sixth former. I started the PGCE when I was 21 and now am NQT. It is all about the attitude. Students initially wont take you seriously, but if you stand firm and be a teacher they will soon forget. Students who thought I was 17/18 at the start of this year now think I'm 32! I aged extremely quickly.

When teaching students I have never meet before I make it clear that age is a personal question, not part of their work and therefore will not be answered. But keep it sweet by saying thank you for the compliment at the start. Do not engage in that conversation. It works for me. The more you show them that you are in control the more they will take you seriously.

For staff even more than students I found dressing the part made a big difference. It also has a good impact on the students.

Don't let it dent your confidence enjoy it, and in your "free time" use it to your advantage taking to students about current things that you know they enjoy.

Hope that helps

6. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I dress very smart, smarter than I lot of other staff which makes it even more annoying when people think I'm a 6th former! yea you're right it's probably my attitude because as a TA i've been told not to discipline children and pretty much always refer things to a teacher so I don't really feel like I have any authority which probably comes across, hoping when I'm a trainee because it will be expected of me to stand up and discipline when needed maybe i'll be more confident and consequently look as young. As soon as kids ask if im a teacher and I have to say no..the respect level does start dropping!

7. MissRS

MissRS New commenter

If you are being asked to cover the lesson then you are a 'teacher' at that point so if they ask you I'd just say, 'I'm covering this lesson so lets not waste anymore time and get on with the work.' Kids love finding ways of trying to undermine you and they can also tell straight away what your weaknesses are and they play to them, Next time you are on cover just remind yourself before you go through the door that you ARE in charge, you know more than them and you have the power of the behaviour policy at your disposal if they give you any trouble.

I am also a young looking teacher and sometimes get comments from the kids but I tend to thank them for the compliment and then joke that I can still have them in detentions for being cheeky if they carry on and then they get bored. I would follow the advice in another post and use it to your advantage by talking about music and tv that they are into they will really warm to you, but be warned, don't do this too much or you are back as being a 6th former in their eyes.

Good luck with everything and just think when we are 40 we will still look good and the days of being called a pupil will be long forgotten!

8. Unfortunately, after 31 years of teaching, the kids don't believe me when I tell them I'm 24!! However, I remember a conversation with a 4th year group (Yr 10) which took place after half a term of teaching. Kids started asking me when I was leaving. Couldn't understand why and after a couple of days of this, I asked why I was being asked this question. The response, 'Well, you've been here for 2 months and most student teachers leave after about 2 months'. Once I explained that I was the teacher, I would write reports and talk at parents evenings etc. the questions stopped and things went back to normal.

How does that help you? as already said, you need to be confident and if you are in front of a class, you are the teacher.

Keep up the good work.