1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to update class readers

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by JenW, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Our school are looking to make a start at updating the novels we have for class reading groups so I'm looking for recommendations that would perhaps suit a range from P5-P7. What books can you remember that really inspired the children to read? Thanks in advance.

2. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I did Wreck of the Zanzibar and Charlotte's Web with my P5's last year.

3. I am also P5 and have used The Suitcase Kid, The fish in room eleven and The angel of nitshill road all good for novel studies -
    the lemony snicket series of unfortunate events is great to read aloud to a class

4. I had P6 and they liked micheal murpurgo. Why the whales came was good asbwell as Zanzibar. I used 'hacker' and 'pig heart boy' by malorie Blackman with my more able readers and they loved those. How exciting getting to buy resources! Have fun!

5. kellig by David Almond is holding my varied P5/7 class' attention at the moment as a class reader and worked well for my more able reading group last year.

6. Skellig even

7. I used Zac and the Dream Pirates by Ross Mac Kenzie with my P6 class last year and they loved it!