1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to the future:

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ladykaza, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I couldn't decide whether to post on headteacher - role specific and where some of you kind people are aware of my situation - or on workplace dilemas', so i've gone for both...... Sorry.

I have been suffering from WRS and depression, culminating in a week off before Christmas - my first for 25 years. I have also taken a break from these boards - going cold turkey from all things 'education' .

Without boring you with the details, my return to work has not gone well

I've been back to the GP and he's signed me off for a month - this however causes me more problems than it solves ( which brings me back to why I'm back on the boards today looking for advice) I am coming to the realisation that this could be it. To be honest if I could, I would resign this minute and never go back. My big concern is that if I take an extended period off with this condition that I will struggle to secure other work either in or out of education. I can't resign with no job to go to and I don't want to be trapped in a job I can't manage because I fear I will be unemployable.

Everyone - family, friends, colleagues, counsellors-, union. - are all being wonderfully supportive and urging me to stay at home and recover, but without this question answered I can't rest.

I'm hoping that some of you might be able to share you experiences or suggest who I can ask for a straight answer.

Thanks

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

LadyKaza,

Please do not make any decisions at this point in your recovery, it's way too early to make such a huge decision when you are clearly feeling so unwell.

I wish you health, happiness and a speedy recovery.

SSS

sabrinakat and Yoda- like this.
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Your condition will determine how long you're off work. Some things you can't speed up to any significant extent. The anxiety you are showing is part of the condition you have. This is not the straight answer you probably hoped to hear. You still need to come to terms with your condition. Unfortunately your post may a distraction from this.

There are posters on this Forum who have gone through situations similar to yours and I am sure they will reassure you that there's a future beyond what your experiencing now. It may or may not be what you expect. It is likely to be better than your situation now if you put your recovery first.

Take care of your self and be kind to yourself.

Middlemarch and sabrinakat like this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

If your leg were broken and it had just been put in paster for 8 weeks to mend etc would you be taking the decision right now that you would never play sport again? I rather think not. I can see that being ill is "inconvenient/comes at a bad time work wise etc etc" but then when ever is a "good time"?
    You have to allow yourself to start to get better and it may well be longer than the month your GP has signed you off for. Give yourself space and time to recover. Your friends and family all trying to tell you this are correct. Treat your illness as a broken limb - recognise that you are in plaster and there is no way you can play football right now....or until the plaster has done its job and can come off.
    Far too many people in teaching rush back to work before they are recovered from flu or anything else. Would you wish a child to return to school before it was fully fit to engage fully and cope with school? I think not.
    Please try to switch off and shift your focus from work to yourself. Give your body and mind chance to start to heal. There will be plenty of time in the future when well again to make decisions and you will be better placed to make them !

Middlemarch, sabrinakat and Yoda- like this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nothing to add to the excellent advice above, except..

A big virtual hug!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Have replied on your thread on Headteachers.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have little if anything to add to the advice and comments above and on Headteachers Forum.

All I can say really is that many people do work in jobs outside teaching (!), and many of them find these jobs satisfying. Not perhaps in exactly the way that teaching - and Headship - is, but with less stress of all kinds.

And I also believe that there is more and more awareness of the unbearableness of Headship among the public at large, so if you did decide to move to a new career, you would not find any raised eyebrows when they received your application.

Look after yourself. Eat some chocolate as well as the kale. Watch something daft as well as Horizon.

And remember your friends on here.

Best wishes

8. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I think an appointment with OH might be a good idea. NAHT are being very helpful about both my illness and the parental complaint which is aggravating it.

On a positive note I am without a headache for the first time in a week I might even get some sleep tonight. Maybe my body is trying to tell me something!

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Really sorry you're having a rough trot at the moment. Hold onto the certainty that things won't always be this way. It might take weeks, months or even years before you feel better but you will eventually.
    It'll be of little comfort that there are quite a few of us who've had WRS etc on here but at least you know you can come on here and chat with people who understand how it feels.
    Fingers crossed for an uninterrupted and long night's sleep.

GLsghost likes this.
  10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have replied on the HT forum too.

Ladykaza likes this.