1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to teach in Wales, any advice please?

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by tillydream, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Dear All,
    I hope that someone may be able to impart some words of wisdom. I am moving to Wales from West Midlands with my husband following his job relocation to Pembroke. I'm currently working as a SENCO and Head of Pastoral Care in an independent school (3-16yrs) , and am completing my NASCo award.
    Will my complete inability to speak/read/understand Welsh be a major stumbling block? Should I begin to learn? Is anyone willing to tell me of current issues I should be aware of within the Welsh Education system? Any help, constructive comment most gratefully received!!

Tilly

2. It depends. Our Senco works in our Primary school and never has to teach Welsh, but there is an expectation that a certain amount of everyday Welsh phrases are used throughout the school by all staff, including a certain amount of commands that are used within our teaching.
    If it were me, I'd make finding a beginners Welsh course (run by many FE colleges and other bodies) top of my list.

Top difference for me in Wales is that we are working on a new skills based curriculum, which can be found online.
    I'm not sure whether you will need to register with the GTCW (imagine you will if you want to work in Wales), so I'd check that out too.

3. Hi!
    Welsh is a core subject in Wales, so being able to speak Welsh is certainly an advantage if you plan on being a classroom teacher.
    There are Welsh-medium schools, where all education is delivered through the medium of Welsh, and English as a subject isn't generally introduced until Year 3.
    Then there are English-medium schools, which teach Welsh as a second language a couple of times a week. I know many non-welsh speakers in English medium schools, and they arrange things so that another teacher covers the Welsh. It depends on how Welsh the area is, but skills and experience would probably trumps the language issue, especially if you show a positive attitude to the language and do your best to pick up some words and phrases. I can tell you some if you like:)

4. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Pembrokeshire has a large number of English medium schools in the South of the county. However, Welsh is taught second language through all age groups and you should be able to use incidental Welsh on a daily basis even if you don't have to deliver the second language lessons.
    You will need to be familair with the skills curriculum/curriculum 2008 - see WAG.
    I would advise you that Pembrokeshire has falling rolls over all and that redundancy situations already exist in several schools throughout the county.
    Having said all that, croeso.

5. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Should have said secondary is very different. Only one secondary school in Pembs is Welsh medium. All the rest teach through English.

6. Very many thanks to all who replied so helpfully! Well, I've booked myself on an intensive 3 week course to learn some Welsh and am currently scouring TES for jobs - no joy so far! Would you recommend registering with any recruitment agencies? Does anyone have any positive experience of using them to find a full time, permanent post? Aside from that I'm loving the house hunting - such a beautiful place to be moving to!
    Tilly

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Pembroke is beautiful but there are no teaching jobs. Sign on for supply in several local authorities, that's the best way to getting a job. Seems to be plenty of maternity cover though!!

8. Pembroke is a fabulous place to explore...(lots of wishful thinking going on here...). To be able to join in a simple Welsh conversation would be a good thing. There are intensive courses, but something that is a little more flexible is a (free for the intro course) online resource at saysomethinginwelsh.com.This will get you very quickly to a good standard. You may find that you will pick stuff up when you need it - as kids do more readily :) . If you have a second subject to offer it may be worth pursuing. Supply agencies are a good alternative, as aready suggested.
    Pob lwc! Good luck!