1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

looking to return to UK teaching from abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alpine273, Feb 5, 2012.

1. alpine273

alpine273 New commenter

Hi, I just wanted some advice re: applying for jobs back in UK from abroad, I have worked abroad for 3 years or so but am now wanting to return to teaching in the UK.
    I'm guessing I'm at a disadvantage in that I wouldn't be able to attend an interview, but do any UK schools (primary is my field) offer Skype interviews online?
    I also read that my local authority no longer have their own supply agency, and that schools now have their own supply programmes or use different agencies - how could I get on a supply register or programme in time for coming back in July this year?
    Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You might find the odd school that has few applicants willing to do it, but it's incredibly unlikely, especially as most interviews these days include activities like teaching a model lesson.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, this is a great disadvantage, and in fact you will probably not be able to apply for posts until you are back in the country.
    The statutory guidance to schools is that there should be a face-to-face interview, and Skype isn't considered this.
    Plus, as Middlemarch says, nearly every school expects you to teach a lesson as part of the selection procedure.
    The other disdadvantage that you have is that it is a buyers market in Primary, and you are selling. There are large numbers of applicants for Primary posts - 200 is not out of the ordinary, so you really need to put in an application showing clearly all the skills that you have acquired by working in the international context.
    You may like to read this thread with some advice - Mainwaring has a good suggestion for the wording regarding coming back to the UK for interviews.
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    Well, of course, there will be no supply in July, so there's no rush. You can register with supply agencies in the area where you will be living - just google them.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com