1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to gain some experience as a teaching assistant - how do I go about it?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by joer23, Jul 9, 2019.

1. joer23

joer23 New commenter

Hey everyone,

I'm currently an English Literature/French student going into my second year of university in September, looking to get some experience as a teaching assistant in a primary/secondary setting for the upcoming academic year to strengthen my application for a language assistantship with the British Council which I'll be hopefully be doing the following year.

I already have a year's worth of experience as a voluntary teaching assistant for A-Level English Literature, but considering that I will likely be working mainly in pre-16 education during my time abroad, I figured that I would be better off getting some hands-on experience with the age range I'll be working with.

I'm quite clueless as to what the procedure in regards to acquiring this experience. I was able to get some experience as an A-Level TA because I've kept in contact with my teachers and they encouraged me to come back/were more than happy to oblige in me wanting to return. However, my teachers are moving onto pastures greener in September and I'm awaiting confirmation on whether I can continue with them/or where I am now, for the 2019-20 year.

Anywho, I suppose my question is: is it as easy as approaching a school and asking if they can help? I'm thinking of contacting both my primary school and secondary school because the majority of my teachers are still working in both schools so this might give me an edge.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Yes, it is as easy as asking. Either write a letter to the Headteacher or ask for an appointment with the Headteacher. Can you commit to a set amount of time? A day a week? You are more likely to get a placement if they can rely on you support for a set time. We have had past pupils apply and yes it is likely to go in your favour if you know teachers in the school. I know they try to accommodate past pupils in our school for work experience or pre teaching course at Uni. Good luck.

sunshineneeded likes this.