1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to do TEFL- any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by SWB206, Jun 29, 2011.

1. The industry standard initial qualification is Cambridge ESOL's CELTA: http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/teaching-awards/celta.html. The course has 120hrs of contact time including 6hrs of observed teaching.

2. thanks- will look it up

3. You could also look at the TRINITY certificate in TESOL, which is usually regarded as equivalent to the CELTA. Both these certificates usually take 4 to 5 weeks full time. They are usually the minimum requirement for getting a TEFL job abroad or on a summer course in the UK (though in certain countries employers may accept the fact that you're a native speaker and have teaching experience/qualifications).

4. thanks a lot
    noting all this and will look it up

5. Where are you based?
    I did my CELTA at International House in London and found it very good.
    When I did the course it was available either full time over four weeks or part time over three months )it might have changed now though.) I did full time and it was very intense with four written assignments to be done over the course as well as teaching assessments and observations. Full time worked well for me but a few people on the course regretted not going for the part time option.

6. What do you hope to do after the course? You need to bear in mind that it is quite expensive and if you are thinking of getting a TEFL job afterwards you should know that they are generally poorly paid and with poor conditions.

7. londomolari

londomolari New commenter

I think you've got to be careful here. I believe that you also need to take into consideration where you intend to use the qualification. For example, a TEFL qualification isn't recognised in Japan, whereas a TESOL is, so you should probably do some research first.
    Different name, same theoretical nonsense.