1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to Buy Textbooks for PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rachyclaire, May 11, 2011.

1. rachyclaire

rachyclaire New commenter

I have

Sewell K, Lakin L, Mason D, Woodgate-Jones A (2008) Doing Your PGCE at M-Level A Guide For Students. London,

Denby N (Ed) (2008) How To Achieve Your QTS A Guide for Students SAGE

Which have only been used a few times, and are in virtually brand new condition, would need to check how much I paid for them, but happy to sell, would you be ok with waiting till mid June for them? Just in case I need them for my remaining assignments! I can PM you with prices when I get home tonight.

2. That's great! Let me know your thoughts on price
    Did you study at uwic?

3. I haven't bothered spending too much money on theory and practice books. What is a million times more worth the investment is buying workbooks and other such things.

4. Firstly, well done! Enjoy your summer and brace yourself :)
    I'm just coming to the end of my PGCE and will be 100% honest with you - I have barely touched the books I spent hundreds of pounds on. I found that it was more useful to borrow them from the library or use journals when it came to assignments and the practical teaching and subject knowledge I needed came from being in a classroom, trawling the internet for guidelines and help and asking people, who have all been able to explain everything.
    I would advise you to buy your books as and when you need them. Granted, you might not be able to get them as cheaply when buying them at shorter notice, but you won't have spent out hundreds on other books that you won't use...that money will come in extra handy thanks to the cuts to your grants!!
    Best of luck.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Just to second what the poster above has said - I borrowed most books from the library. From your list I have read Julie Fisher's "Starting from the Child" and can recommend it. Keep on eye out on Amazon Marketplace and eBay for cheap copies; you can often find older editions for very cheap prices, and there's often very little difference to a newer edition in content.