1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to Asia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marcusmassey, Nov 15, 2016.

1. marcusmassey

marcusmassey New commenter

Hi all,

My wife and I (with our one year old son) are gazing longingly towards Asia for a change of scenery and an experience of a lifetime. We're extremely open to everything, everywhere and every everyness. Our only real concern is comfort of living in a material sense and the wellbeing of our son, physically, mentally and educationally.

We have tons of UK teaching experience and I have some experience abroad.

So much potential choice, so I'd like a narrowing of the focus to begin with; see the lay of the land and plot a course (and many other geographic clichés).

Thanks in advance.

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Happy to share info on Singapore. It's a great choice if you're looking to dip your toe into the water of living internationally, rather than a full blown, culturally mind-blowing experience (Asia-lite, I like to call it). Very, very family friendly. Expensive, but most schools provide a salary you can easily survive on (and save a chunk if two of you working). I've also lived in Japan, HK, and Malaysia in Asia. Singapore the easiest by far if you want a mild change rather than a huge one.

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Send a message my way if you're interested in Taiwan. Fantastic place for families. Taipei is an incredible place to live.

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I love Singapore! That would be my first choice if I could find the right school and package, with accommodation. Great location for visits all over Asia, safe, great food, plenty to do, friendly, lots of expats if needed. The weather (humidity) takes some getting used to but is okay after a while.

5. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I'm more into the 'hardcore' Asian experience, which is maybe easier to handle being an unaccompanied male. I've previously taught in Thailand and Laos, and now on my second stint in Myanmar, where I am able to save about 80% of my salary each month - living expenses being very low. (My salary in Myanmar is more than double my salary in 'developed' Thailand).

6. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Hi Simon
    I have sent you a conversation, hope you don't mind?