1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking out for your staff's emotional well-being

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by DocWol, May 14, 2016.

1. DocWol

DocWol New commenter

I've been a head for a few years now and over that time I have had to deal with several issues with staff regarding their mental well-being. In addition I have seen how pressure can translate into work related stress and have seen the impact it has had on individuals as well as on their teaching and ultimately the performance of children. As school leaders we do a good job when it comes to looking after the emotional well-being of children but do we give enough thought to that of our staff (and ourselves)? I started writing a blog as someone with a deep interest in this issue (though not an expert) and I hope that you may find some of my posts thought-provoking. I am sure that many of you will think that what I am writing is nonsense but if that is the case I would ask you to think about the experience of your staff from their perspective.

My other concern is that heads are also at risk of work related stress, it is pressure-laden post which can also be extremely lonely. Please take a look at my blog HERE for the latest posting or here for a posting about the emotional well-being of heads. Thanks.

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'm sure you're right that many teachers and heads suffer stress. Unfortunately, heads have lot of pressure from others-who aren't even teachers-so they can't remove all the stress as they might wish to.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Concern for mental well-being of staff is not nonsense! This site has for years shown the distress experienced by teachers (and HTs) who know they are on the edge, and are appealing to their virtual staff room for help, because they lack the required support within their own workplace. The educational system, care of the govt. of the day, has for too long concentrated on children needs (or professed that they are concentrating on children's needs) without thinking of how their numerous initiatives - rarely, to my knowledge discussed with the professionals - will impact on the staff who have to implement them. The supreme irony is that an election could sweep them out of power and the 'all-change-please' game starts again with the new regime.

Your point about HTs stress is an interesting one. Who has a duty of care to the one person who has prime duty of care within the school community?