1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking into GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by leez_90, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hiya, I am currently in my final year of a law degree at cardiff university and really looking to do a primary gtp - i got rejected for the pgce but wasnt given a reason. I have asked and have not yet heard back but im pretty sure it might be because of my degree not being relevant to the national cirriculum. I have had lots of experience and positive primary teaching is what I want to do and just looking for a route into teaching that doesnt require me to do another full degree which would make me law degree seem like a waste!
    I know some people how have managed to become a teacher with a law degree and other degrees not necessarily in the national cirriculum area but obviously its not as easy to prove you got what it takes.
    One of the schools I had my experience at has said they are more than happy to offer me a place there which is great but im still worried that when I apply when the details come out this January that a university still is going to say no. Also its difficult as last year there were only I believe 40 Primary GTP places offered in Wales.
    I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with! I was wondering if you find the school yourself are the university you apply too likely to not take it into account if its not in the area of the university itself or does location not matter? the area of the school i want to do is it only about half an hour away but nevertheless not in the same area. Also, if you find a school before you apply, are the universitys more willing to give you an interview?
    If anyone has any advice they could give me I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

Leanne :)

2. Hiya, I am currently in my final year of a law degree at cardiff university and really looking to do a primary gtp - i got rejected for the pgce but wasnt given a reason. I have asked and have not yet heard back but im pretty sure it might be because of my degree not being relevant to the national cirriculum. I have had lots of experience and positive primary teaching is what I want to do and just looking for a route into teaching that doesnt require me to do another full degree which would make me law degree seem like a waste!
    I know some people how have managed to become a teacher with a law degree and other degrees not necessarily in the national cirriculum area but obviously its not as easy to prove you got what it takes.
    One of the schools I had my experience at has said they are more than happy to offer me a place there which is great but im still worried that when I apply when the details come out this January that a university still is going to say no. Also its difficult as last year there were only I believe 40 Primary GTP places offered in Wales.
    I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with! I was wondering if you find the school yourself are the university you apply too likely to not take it into account if its not in the area of the university itself or does location not matter? the area of the school i want to do is it only about half an hour away but nevertheless not in the same area. Also, if you find a school before you apply, are the universitys more willing to give you an interview?
    If anyone has any advice they could give me I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

Leanne :)

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Hi,
    Your questions are best answered by the specific GTP provider. The universities have differing approaches and some will only work with schools where they already have a partnership arrangement. Some GTP providers operate a direct application system and they then find the school for you. In many instances providers can expect you to gain experience as a teaching assistant prior to applying. The list of providers and contact details are on the TDA website.