1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking into doing social sciences PGCE/PGDE

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by D_chap, May 29, 2011.

1. Thank you for your reply. So what you are basically saying is

1) The PGDE isn't worth the paper it is written on?
    2) Get QTS by doing PGCE
    3) Short of. jobs in this field?

2. san38

san38 New commenter

Yes - that's about it. good luck!

3. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I did a non-QTS PGCE in Sociology and then did the QTS conversion course through uni of Gloucestershire during the first year of my secondary school job. However, that was a few years ago, and since then:
    a) there are less teaching jobs in general
    b) there are more applicants per job so most schools will prefer candidates who already have QTS.
    I would advise you to do a secondary PGCE in Social Science at a pretigious university such as Leicester or I of E, London, which will gIve you QTS. But even then, you are not guaranteed a job at the end. Are you willing to relocate anywhere in the UK to get a job? If so, that will greatly increase your employment prospects.
    Overall, I love teaching sociology and would definitely recommend A level teaching, but there are sadly so many highly qualified teachers who cannot get work at the moment.