1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking forward to my huge pay rise!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catmother, Feb 3, 2012.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not that this applies to Scotland but if it did,I'm sure those of us who teach in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire would be looking forward to their salaries reflecting local conditions!
    Not that Gove imagines that it could actually work out upwards rather than the downwards he's planning.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

3. We get paid what we do because we are highly skilled and highly educated not because of where we live.

4. I'm not too sure I understand the point of this. Are they planning to pay teachers in deprived areas less so that they leave teaching and go and work for businesses? Surely the schools in those areas won't benefit from that -or does that not matter? I wouldn't have thought schools and businesses (other than private schools) were direct competition.
    Not sure Aberdeen-teachers would be paid more -rather that others would be paid less. Aberdeen City Council are broke anyway so can't pay more.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think it's just the latest attack on teachers by Gove who seems to have a new anti teacher idea just about everyday. It's part of the English governement wish to scrap national conditions for English and Welsh teachers. As far as I've read,the idea has also been floatted for all their public sector employees,not just teachers. Part of the great private sector (good) vs public sector (bad). A very strange argument that seems to say that if in an area the private sector average pay is a certain amount,then it's not fair if public sector employees are averaging more.Of course,it's mad as it's not comparing like for like as far as jobs and qualifications go. However,every article that I've read about it talks about a situation where public sector are paid more than other people in that area as if somehow public sector workers were ,once again ,stealing from the tax payer! I was reversing the idea and thinking that if we applied the theory to Aberdeen,teachers would need to be paid more to compete with the average!
    Of