1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Teachers to share the Positive side to Primary Teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Herb82, May 4, 2011.

1. <font face="Calibri">I am currently training to be a Primary School teacher, my third year is about to finish and I am due to qualify next summer. Until recently I have felt pretty upbeat about the idea of being a teacher, but for some reason this year my confidence seems to have taken a dive. It seems that lately all I read and hear are negative things about teaching; the long hours, the burdens on any type of personal life, the threat of Ofstead, unreasonable head teachers and expectations, difficult behavior (from pupils and parents), the stresses of being an NQT and covering extra standards etc&hellip;. Basically what I am trying to say is that it would be nice to think I have more to look forward to than all that once I begin my career. </font><font face="Calibri">Can people share the positives with me and maybe share any advice on how I can cope with it all and get my confidence back!</font><font face="Calibri">Thank you </font><font face="Calibri">X</font>

2. I taught a child whose mum works very high up in a very popular magazine....
    ....I didn't buy makeup or toilettries for months! All the lovely samples and freebies came my way [​IMG] (including a goody bag of benefit makeup at xmas that was worth an awful lot of money!)

3. kash645

kash645 New commenter

Chance to make a difference
    Never a dull moment
    School holidays with your own children- (not always a positive and v.expensive holidays of your own)
    Long Summer Holidays
    Sense of fulfillment and enjoyment
    Laughter- kids are the funniest and most brilliant human beings to work with
    Lifetime friendships- young people who acknowledge what an impact you may have had on their lives
    I definitely agree with others on here and would say that the positives very much depend on the kind of school you work in. There are great schools where you can find all of these things, but equally, there are awful schools, managed by bullies who chip away at your confidence and self esteem. I hope that you find a great school to work in. If you do, then I think that teaching is the best job in the world!

4. kash645

kash645 New commenter

Ooops! Chance to be a lifelong learner- remember to edit and check your mistakes! Sorry about missing punctuation in my last post!

5. -holidays
    - sense of satisfaction
    - laughing
    - chance to make a difference to a child
    - can be heaps of fun if you put the effort in, and the more effort you put in the more YOU get out of it as well!

6. The laughter, not knowing what will happen from one day to the next, if you allow some freedom for the children, and a definite sense of doing something and being someone that your children will hopefully remember for the rest of their lives, or certainly a good few years to come.
    I am my own boss (as far as that is allowed, in that I decide what to teach and when each week, within the constraints of the NC)
    Downsides at this time of year are reports of course, soooo time consuming, but the good days far outweigh these!
    I LOVE MY JOB!!!

7. <font size="2">Thank you, it&rsquo;s great to see a positive from an NQT! I feel like I am letting the negative things I hear effect my enthusiasm for my future career, and I hate that. x</font>

8. There's negative aspects of primary teaching? As my (very young) daughter likes to say.... naaaaaaahhhhhh!

9. When you are doing circle time about when you are a happy and a child says when im in school with you and my friends!

When a child who couldnt write their name in Sept writes a sentence complete with adjectives!

Holidays

10. It's something I also wondered when in my last year of university. But the fact of the matter is it?s not the same on placement as when it is your own class. I am two thirds of the way through my NQT year and loving it! I am at a school with staff that have been very supportive and I think that is the main thing when you apply for jobs. Make sure it is the right post for you and you are not just panicking for a job and applying everywhere. It is hard work and you should know what you?re getting yourself in for, but you just can?t beat that awe and wonder moment on you children?s faces. That and the fact that we get paid to pretend to be Henry VIII, sing the times tables and be chronically enthusiastic about adjectives. 14 working days till half term! :)

11. Having kids in Year 9 coming back for a visit to see just you because they still remember you when you taught them in Year 3 and wanted to say how they are greatful for installing the importance of school.
    Having parents of children about to sit GCSE's telling you when they come for a parents evening for a sibling, that it was you who improved their belief in themselves and they they could achieve.
    Parents thanking you for reinstalling shattered confidence in their ability to be good at school
    Little ones role playing you.
    Parents telling you that their child loves school and is always playing school at home.
    Parents telling you that if their child plays up at home and they threaten to tell you it devastes them and they beg them not to tell.