1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for specific maths assessments - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Feb 15, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I have heard about some maths assessment where the children do a levelled paper each week of about 25 questions. Apparently, it's called Red Hall Primary School big maths or maths basic skills. I have looked on t'internet but can't find anything relevant. Is this ringing any bells with someone who can shed any more light please?

Thanks

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I have heard about some maths assessment where the children do a levelled paper each week of about 25 questions. Apparently, it's called Red Hall Primary School big maths or maths basic skills. I have looked on t'internet but can't find anything relevant. Is this ringing any bells with someone who can shed any more light please?

Thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

is it the Big Maths Learn It tests?
    Y3 has 24 questions in 60 seconds
    although the number of questions varies according to year group
    the BM CLIC tests only have 10 questions but cover basic number skills

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My class really enjoy the CLIC tests and make a big fuss if I forget to do them one week. They are learning/practising/recapping key number skills every week by using them. Definitely a good thing.

Don't make the mistake I did by thinking that L1, L2, L3 etc refers to NC levels. They don't.

5. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Ah, that seems like it, thank you both

6. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

So what does L1, L2, L3 etc refer to then, if they aren't NC levels?

7. The one your looking for is part of the assertive mentoring assessment tool which your school has to buy. We do the basic skills tests every week and they are great- unfortunately only have paper copies. I would recommend the whole programme though. Do half termly tests too and good writing assessment grids

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We only do the CLIC tests and only in year 2 at the moment. Was free on the download Msz posted above. I think it was her who recommended it back in September and I tried it with my class.

L1 just means the lowest level, all children start with that. Once they get 10/10 three weeks in a row they move on to L2 and so on. But if you had a higher age class you might not start them all on L1, I don't know.

In year 2 I currently have most of my class on L1 and about 8-10 on L2.

9. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

So where does the school get them from?

10. Msz

They are NC levels but obviously don't cover all aspects of each levels
    "There are 5 different tests (one for each of the national curriculum levels from Level 1 to 5)".

11. Go onto the assertive mentoring website. There are some sample Downloads on there. Just looked at it now and there are some reading assessment grids that I didn't know about- will be telling my head!!

12. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Thanks Pops, I'll have a shufty x Thanks everyone else - I like the look of those big maths tests x

13. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Pops, so you have the website address? I think I've been looking at the wrong thing! Thanks

14. Msz

15. It's just assertivementoring.com If you look at the sample reading level 3 things that's basically what the maths and writing are like too. They are so clear and really help with levelling. Don't see why all schools don't have it!

16. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Found them, brilliant x

17. Msz

Cost?

18. Worth every penny though. We implemented it last year and it has had a massive impact on progress and gives us more freedom when planning.

19. Msz

beyond my pocket I'm afraid