1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some people who are not convinced by all this tech talk!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mitchelld, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I'm a Deputy Head from Bolton who is involved in some research looking at Blogs and Wikis in particular. You can read more about the research here: http://cloudlearn.net.

The first part of this research is to hold some discussions which will be in a closed facebook group to aid confidentiality, I currently have people involved who are mostly in favour of using blogs etc to aid learning but I need to hear the voices of people who don't share the same view. May be from people who have had negative experiences or who don't agree with the e-safety issues involved. If you are interested in this project, please get in contact through this thread.

Many thanks
    David Mitchell
    @DeputyMitchell on Twitter

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Oh I am there, bloggers are just self indulgent narcissists IMO, except Mark and Debbie who post stuff about useful resources rather than their view of the world. The other 99% of bloggers are looking for fame and fortune and it ain't coming their way.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 *at( hotmail *dot* com

4. A lot of it is just backing onto "Web 2.0" hype. Nothing wrong with bloggers or wikis, or indeed all the other paraphernalia, but in themselves they aren't anything. You actually have to do something with them.
    So your blog needs to have content, most blogs don't have original content, or their authors just aren't good enough writers to be worth reading. Your wiki needs to have something to focus around.
    There needs to be a well thought out educational plan on how to use it, and why.
    But the main mistake is in thinking these tools are any different to anything else. They aren't. A Blog is just a website diary style which is easy to update. A Wiki is a (relatively) easy editing system for a website.

5. Hi, are you a teacher? If you are and you have views on educational blogs/wikis being used in schools then I'd be more than happy to get you involved in the research project. I just need confirmation that you are a teacher.

Thanks
    David

6. Let me know if you'd like to be involved in the project. Are you a teacher? Doesn't matter about Primary/Secondary/Lecturer etc. Please let me know.

Thanks
    David

7. djphillips1408

Yes - Head of ICT

8. Yes I am a teacher, but I'm not teaching at present. So I suspect I can't help you :)

9. I'm deeeeeeply sceptical about this nonsense and I am a teacher.
    Would you like my email address?

10. What if we teach somewhere foreign, does that count?

11. You have an email! ;-)

12. Blogs are only useful for two reasons ; firstly the writer is a good writer and thus is worth reading for that, or secondly the writer is providing useful information.
    Most people aren't that good writers and don't have anything particularly original to say.

13. djphillips1408

Oh don't get me wrong I know I have a blinkered view of blogging and I can't see anyone changing my mind, however in that group I asked for proof that blogging "changed lives" as many on there were proclaiming. So people posted links and all I could see were on the part of the kids basic, and those who blogged as teachers were on a self gratification exercise and most blogs had no comments. Don't get me wrong there are good blogs out there like the teach-ict one which gives me stuff I could use, and there was quite a good one listed on the facebook group that pointed to lots of resources that could be used by kids. I just don't think that many of the bloggers on the facebook group realsied that you need to give people a reason to come back and revisit if you have a personal blog whilst the student blogs I saw did not seem to show very much work on the part of the kids. Maybe they are right, maybe blogging does get kids writing, but I don't think it's worth the opportunity cost time wise that some on there seem to allocate to it. To me, you show kids how to blog and then if some run with it outside of school to develop skills then fab, but don't make them do it in class time. Our first lesson on our KS3 course at my school shows them how to sign up on edublogs and we encourage kids to display there work online throughout the year, however none do (240 kids given the chance to date). Maybe it's bad direction on my part, maybe I should reinforce the idea throughout the year, but my gut says that they don't blog because it does not interest them.

14. Messing about on the computer gets them writing ; the 'thrill' of seeing their work on the internet does. It doesn't last. We had it with word processing, then those little palm size gadgets, Web 2.0, web publishing.
    These people are probably paid significant sums of money to do this in the expectation of 'really exciting results'.

15. As a mini case-in-point example of something similar, I teach a subject other than ICT on the timetable too and I get a different pupil to be a "VLE writer" each lesson. They record the objectives of the lesson, what we did and how they felt it went. This gets written up onto the VLE in blog format and pupils in the class comment on it with anything they didn't understand. It's just another way to interact outside of the lesson.