1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some help regarding my return to work

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lornzxx, Jun 25, 2020.

1. lornzxx

lornzxx New commenter

Hi everyone,

Could anyone help me with this, please?

I am currently on maternity leave and I have put my first day back to work as the first of two inset days, (The start of our summer break) 21st July.

My last statutory maternity pay is the 26th July.

Our pay date for July is the 20th.

Does this mean that I will get some SMP with some ‘normal’ pay for July?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Yes, you should do. Normally the July pay date would pay you for the whole of July, so it will be SMP for the first part and normal pay for the last part.
    I'm a bit puzzled about the last SMP being 26th July, if you're returning on 21st July. You can't have SMP once you're back at work, even if it's less than 6 months. Or is it being paid "behind" somehow?

lornzxx likes this.
  3. lornzxx

lornzxx New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry, I should have been clearer. If I had stayed on at work, the 26th July is the last pay of SMP.

So, it should it SMP up to the 21st and my normal pay for the rest of the month? That will be great if it is.

Thank you.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You say the day you plan to return is both an inset day and the start of the summer break. If that's because they have "disaggregated" the inset days and done twilights during the year, you might want to be careful. I suspect that if you have not done the twilights, they could require you to be in on those days - and if there is still provision going on for keyworker children, possibly working with children. (Some schools might not - they might just suggest you do whatever preparation/getting back up to speed you need to at home.)

lornzxx likes this.
  5. lornzxx

lornzxx New commenter

I do believe they did some of the twilights. But, yes that could well be the case. Hopefully, I will be able to do what might be needed at home. Thank you for your help.