1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

looking for NQT position

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by misshopeful1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hey, I have seen a job advert that says they are looking to employ more 'fully qualified teachers' to raise teaching standards.. does this mean they won't be looking to employ an NQT? Is it worth asking? or will I look stupid?
    Thanks

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It sounds that way to me, although I disagree than NQTs can't be excellent and raise the teaching standards equally (and sometimes even more so!)
    If you've got the time you could give it a shot, you'd really need to sell your achievements hard though to get a look in if they're not looking for NQT's.
    Good luck if you decide to go for it x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are a fully qualified teacher.
    But my guess is that you are correct - they are actually hoping to employ an experienced teacher who, unlike a NQT who will need support, can get in there and make an immediate impact on raising standards.
    This also suggests to me that they are a failing school, possibly, perhaps even in SM. If so, they are not allowed to employ NQTs as they have other things on their plate.
    I suggest that you specifically ask before wasting time and hopes on applying.
    Best wishe
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Hi Theo, the school I am referring to is my qualifying teaching placement which I am currently in and the ofsted report is 'satisfactory'. Should I talk to the head?
    Thanks