1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for my first teaching job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Zebby1999, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Zebby1999

Zebby1999 New commenter

It's the end of April and I still haven't secured an NQT job for September. Prior to the coronavirus lockdown, I was invited to my first interview but was not offered the job (which I had expected as I was extremely nervous).

My placement school is not recruiting this year but I have glowing references from them.

I feel like I won't have a job in time for September. I've emailed three applications to schools that were advertising job during the lockdown but have not heard back from any of them. I'm checking the LA pages and wmjobs daily but there does not seem to be too many new jobs advertised. I've also been accepted to two NQT pools and have heard from one school through these. When would you say primary teaching jobs suitable for NQTs are advertised?

2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

@Zebby1999 I graduated in the March and didn’t get my 1st job until the summer the following year! Which I then quit In The 1st half term of having it! I then got an NQT job about 18 months later! I did LOADS of supply in that 18months which really helped with everything! But 3 applications is nothing! Apply to anything and everything! If you can’t drive make sure that you can get there easily by public transport. Ypu will find some jobs are just experienceD if they are TL/subject roles. And some are just for nqts. If it doesn’t say, just apply! You never know :) There are still plenty of jobs being advertised even during this time but obviously hard to know what to do in the situation. Now the resignation date has happened, more jobs (if any) should start appearing now for September starts. But jobs do come up throughout the year. I’d sign up with supply agency as well, just in case. And go for a an agency that is PAYE agency and not an umbrella company agency! Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't despair, I have appointed NQTs in August, excellent teachers too. There is plenty of time yet, and teachers will be retiring or getting a new post by 31 May, leaving vacancies to be filled from June onwards. You are in fact just coming up to peak job hunting period.

Just make sure that you produce a good application. Which does NOT mean copying someone else's application letter or statement; Local Authorities and Academy Trusts may use the same software as UCAS does, to identify possible plagiarism in applications. Look at some of my answers to other queries on Jobseekers, and perhaps consider THIS.

I cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you produce an application that (a) addresses what that individual school needs and holds dear, and (b) reflects and indeed showcases your own personal talents, skills and strengths. Start with an executive summary - I have posted a template in the TES Resources to save you faffing around with the formatting. Then work on from there, as set out in the link above.

So no panicking, no despair, work on identifying who you are and what you can offer, and you'll make it.

Keep safe and chin up!