1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for inspiration

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teacherof30, Feb 2, 2012.

1. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

If you have a large cohort in your Foundation year, how do you manage things?

We currently have 60 children and run a very traditional, 2 classrooms children keep to their classroom most of the time type affair.

I'm wanting to shake things up. I've heard of schools where the children have a base and then operate across the unit unless doing adult directed activities. How does this work? Does the adult/s do the activity with the whole cohort or the class they are attached to?

Any feedback would be really welcome. Thank you.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We do this and do activities with all the children from both classes each day. We begin and end the day with our own class and usually do PE with them. We also split the planning between us but meet beforehand to discuss what we are doing.
    In some ways I'd like to keep my own class but in our peculiar layout this wouldn't be possible. It works quite well though and avoids any issues of parallel classes not covering the same things while still responding to the children's interests.

3. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

Thanks Inky. What is your layout like? We will potentially go to one large room, with a quieter room available. At the moment our classrooms are quite cluttered and small and we find it difficult to truly have CP in all areas. We feel that the larger room, with a quiet space, would afford itself to CP more readily, but I am a bit worried about the noise in one large room.

We currently split planning and deliver across our own classes, but as you say there are differences in how we deliver things and the children are definitely getting very different activities relating to their own interests.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

One 'proper' classroom with no access to water and one makeshift odd-shaped open plan area with a sink and access to an enclosed outdoor area. Both areas now have IWBs. Each area has its own advantages and disadvantages so the children move between them on a timetable with two sessions of free-flow between the two areas.