1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for info/ advice re. Independent Buckingham University PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Helenr1975, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi!
    I am looking for information and any comments from graduates of the Buckingham University Independent PGCE. I am a TA in a private English primary school in Spain and plan to stay in Spain for the forseable future so am looking into the pros and cons of doing this course.

Whilst this course seems a good way to get qualified as a teacher in the short term, the fact that I can do the course by only teaching in one year group makes me wonder if this would deter potential future employers (in both the independent and state sectors).

Also I have been advised that I would have to do a QTS conversion course to qualify for working in a state school back in the UK if my plans change. Has anyone got experience of this?

I was surprised to hear that you have to start teaching asap when your school term starts, a good month before the first residential training weekend and that there are no online classes as such. If anyone could provide details of the support that is available from the Buckingham University website and how their school helped prepare them for the course that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help!

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

2 TAs at my current school are doing this PGCE at the moment and they seem quite happy about it. They can do all the teaching practices in one school which is unusual but if you are overseas very useful.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We have a colleague who has done this.
    Buckingham have provided a competent service in return for his money, while of course people here at school have done much of the supporting work, gratis and happily.
    This might not be the case at every school in the world.
    Perhaps there are such employers, but once you have put in some time working as a teacher, most employers will judge you on your performance at interview, the evidence you can provide of successful teaching, your suitability for their particular environment, and your references - rather than the road map of your route to qualification.

4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi in reality teachers in UK do a PGCE to get QTS (although you have gtp scitts and overseas educated quickie QTS courses) and international schools want QTS but obviously prefer a PGCE or can't understand anyone without it. So a PGCE with QTS that you are considering is ok for a few teachers well liked and with good jobs who need a piece of paper saying PGCE to keep their jobs. Otherwise I can't see the point of them in terms of cost benefit vs a masters. All good schools will ask QTS? If no then auto reject

5. Thanks a lot for your comments! I appreciate your time and help.
    Helen