1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for ideas for a short book study with P5

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by JenW, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi - I want to do a short book study with a new P5 class this year and make this as interdisciplinary as possible. I've looked at a few novels that could be good but I'm thinking they may be too long for the time I have (only about 2 weeks). Anyone know of good short stories or short novels that would be good for this?

2. A book I have used before is Cliffhanger by Jacqueline Wilson. There is a related Scholastic 'Read and Respond' book full of literacy activities. I used it at the start of a new session because the themes of friendship and teamwork were appropriate when meeting a new class, also appeals to those with a good sense of humour. I extended the theme into PE where we adapted activities based on those in the book. Hope this helps.

3. What about This Morning I Met a Whale by Michael Morpurgo Great book with lots of writing that can go along side the book.

4. lrm

lrm

I've taught Primary 5 for 3 years and always start with a book called Lizzy's War by Elisabeth Beresford. It only has four chapters but there are lots of opportunities for interdisciplinary activities. I think I have some literacy tasks on a pendrive somewhere if you want them. (malone.lynsey@gmail.com)