1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for friends!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by laulpage, Mar 7, 2018.

1. laulpage

laulpage New commenter

Hi! I am a trainee teacher, aged 23, in Rickmansworth Hertfordshire.. and I would really like some new friends in the teaching community! Anyone else want some new friends???

2. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise Occasional commenter

What about on your course/at your school?

3. jyg2

jyg2 New commenter

i am jack jia from china do you willing to your student with china student of study frriend ?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Post here long enough and you'll never leave.

monicabilongame and emerald52 like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

[​IMG]

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's your room, to the left, above the room with the light on.

Hotel_California.jpg

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Such a lovely place.....

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do yourself a favour and get some friends OUTSIDE of teaching. You have to take enough sh *t during the course of a day so the last thing you want is to hear all about other people's. Teachers are far too cliquey and just want to talk about work all the time. They are also intensely boring except those who post on here. Join some clubs to do with activities or sports so you meet a wider range of people.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Don't be so needy. Teachers aren't allowed friends as they are too busy planning and marking, marking and planning, comprende?

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Pop over to the Problem Page, pet!
    You'll be assured of a very warm welcome...

Aunty Dunty

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I said to one of my teaching mates, 'Do you know you are the ONLY teacher friend I have who doesn't suffer from depression? All my other teacher friends suffer from depression.' And she answered, 'Cat, I too suffer from depression.'

A lot of teachers suffer from depression. FACT. A lot of depressives are drawn to teaching, social work and nursing. Teaching can help depressives because there is a lot of stuff going on to take their minds of their depressions and depressives are extremelly hard workers, but teaching can also make their depressions far worst.

MademoiselleP likes this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

By that logic a manic depressive will thrive in a teaching post and will still have time after each manic episode for a proper life, provided they're not too depressed. :)

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I find in the atomised culture of modern schools, where there is no central staffroom or cohesive staff culture, that it's very difficult for me to ''make friends''.

All my good friends are from my previous school where I made good friendships and even now, two and half years on, I still meet with one guy once a week for a coffee.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I used to have a teacher friend and the only trouble with meeting up for a drink, was he insisted on setting me homework.

He expected me to have another pint when I got home.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That must have been terrible for you Duke.

16. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

One of my best friends is a manic depressive and was a DHT but never disclosed it. She needed very little sleep and could write a whole half term's scheme of work for her subject, with lesson plans and resources within 2 days. She told me she used 'incidences' to disguise her needing a break, such as a fight she intervened in and managed to get all the way to retirement without anybody ever knowing.

So yes, manic depressives can make brilliant teachers if they have the strategies to disguise when they are having a downer, and when they are having uppers, the HTs extol their energies and their drive.

I firmly believe that a lot of the problems with bullying in schools is to do with teachers with hidden mental problems finding an outlet for transferring the problem/attention away from themselves and onto others.

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Further to my earlier post about taking part in activities - Reading Aunty Dunty's problem page is an activity in itself! She never came good with the long nose pliers though! (See post #119 on TES Problem Page)