1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for evidence - how can reading with a child for 10 minutes everyday affect a child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by plyast, Aug 22, 2016.

1. plyast

plyast New commenter

Hi,

I'm doing a staff meeting when I return to school about Teaching Assistant support. I'm looking for some evidence to show how 10 minutes reading with a child everyday can affect their learning and attainment and wondered if anyone had any evidence, reports or stories of their own that I could use in the meeting. Thank you in advance :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What convinced you that reading for tens mins a day with children makes a difference? Tell your staff that!

minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You could read with a small group for 10 minutes a day. Doesn't have to be individually. Not if you select the groups carefully.

Evidence? Proof? I don't have any.

And, as always, depends on the quality of the teacher/TA. There are staff I've known who I'd rather have on pencil-sharpening duties than allow them to read with the pupils.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For 'evidence' you might point out the old adage, 'Practice makes perfect'. The more practice and exposure, the greater the likelihood of some of it 'sticking'!

For MFL we know that young children need regular, short, sharp bursts to learn vocabulary.

No more than 10 new words a day. Decreasing amounts thereafter, so just 2 the next day, 3 the day after etc. Now for English, one could increase the amounts if it is mother tongue.

The fact that it's 1:1 is important.
    Makes a child feel valued and that you value the activity.

Plus with a good TA you can support the child well; leaving enough time for the child to have a try but able to suggest strategies of approach, dependent on what the child needs. e g What's the first letter? / Look at the shape of the word? / Sound it out . . . .

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/new...nutes_reading_a_day_boosts_school_achievement

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. jade_dragonA

jade_dragonA New commenter

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I used some standard sheets of common words and did a simple 'test' with each pupil to mark which words they recognised. after a few weeks of reading I re-tested them to discover how many new words they recognised.
    As far as I am concerned all books used for literacy in school should include a word list that can be checked before and after the book has been read a few times. You could of course do this yourself.
    Note: I had a foster child that rather than read would memorize stories that were read to her. She used the pictures as prompts and said things that approximated to what was written. I got into the habit of covering pictures so that she had to read the words.

8. cozg

cozg New commenter

Interestingly we have a thing called Target Reading at my school where struggling readers in a class are identified maybe 4 or 5 children. After getting their parents on board, they read at home to an adult a set number of pages each night and are also heard read in school at least 3 times a week. This is done throughout ks2. This is on top of the normal reading focus - guided reading etc that is done in class. I have to say it's a simple thing that when I first tried it as part of a whole school strategy I thought it would be a bit of a waste of time. However it has made some sharp improvements in the reading ages of those children and parents have noticed too so I fully endorse it!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

But isn't this just what is called 'normal'.
    Had the parents been reading each night at home with their child since reception, they probably wouldn't be a struggling reader in KS2. Reading 1:1 with an adult as well as GR is surely normal in most schools isn't it? Daily in KS1 and a few times a week in KS2?

Sorry, I assume you aren't the head, so this isn't your policy, but I'm stunned only a few children in each class do this, rather than it being the norm.

digoryvenn and Henriettawasp like this.
  10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree Caterpillar, I think that this is the norm in most schools, or it should be!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You need to have identified why you have allocated the children to a TA and be more specific about the impact you expect to see as result of this 50 minute ' intervention ' . Do you want to improve fluency, accuracy , comprehension ? Justifying this would be easy if you were more focused in your approach,

12. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I wouldn't say this is normal in any school I've worked in, in KS1 or ks2.

When I taught y1/2, I tried to hear each child once per week, struggling readers (maybe 4-5 in a class) daily. Even with a parent helper for 2 hours a week and a decent TA, this was tricky to manage, time wise.

In y4, honestly some children were lucky to be heard once per half term. Absolutely no way each child could be heard 'a few times a week'. Struggling readers 2-3 times per week, ones who read fluently only occasionally.

My issue with individual reading is: what are the other children doing while I spend 5 minutes with a child reading? For every 5 mins a child reads with me, they will spend 145 minutes (over 2 hours!) not having my attention. I listen to children for 15 mins before registration, and another 10-15mins after lunch. My TA also does the morning, but is eating her own lunch when I do the after lunch reading.

I don't like setting children off on a task then listening to readers: the children may need my support with the task, esp if maths or English. Also, the child reading is missing the task the others are doing.

Parents should read with their kids daily when they are first learning, then at least be discussing books with their children once they're fluent. I get that parents are often busy, but honestly, it must be easier for parents to find 10 minites a day to read with their child, than for me to find 300 minutes a day to read with all of them!!

Currently my school has very poor parental support. Reading at home is almost non existent in ks2, I would say no more than 5 children in my class last year read the 'required' 3x per week. This is despite a lovely library, rewards and incentives for regular reading and a big push on reading at home. It's so disheartening.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  13. modgepodge

Also, last year SMT asked us to read daily with certain 'groups'. Those groups were: PPG, kids who were behind, and kids who didn't get heard at home a lot. That equalled 22 of my 30 kids!!

I read regularly to my class from a variety of novels, and teach reading explicitly. But reading regularly with individual children, I don't find a good use of my time.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

I, and TAs have always heard children read before school, break, lunch, assembly, tidy up time, etc, etc. Then in GR time the TA would hear some more.

By 'hear' I don't mean the child sits and reads while the TA listens and sharpens the pencils then sends them back to some other activity. I really mean share a book with but can't be bothered to type it all the time! For some children in KS1 this might not even be a book, maybe flashcards of graphemes or HF words some days.

Also for year 1, it was run similarly to reception with CI activities and so it was easy to take a book to a child and have a quick read wherever they were.

BUT different schools have different ways and different priorities for teacher and TA time. I've no doubt you do a fab job and your children enjoy reading and make great progress. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

15. modgepodge

In year 1 I definitely found it easier, due to the free flow time when I could listen to them like you say.

Unfortunately assemblies are all taken up for me: team meeting once per week, once falls during my PPA, we have to be in celebration assembly and I run an intervention in the last one. Only get 45 mins for lunch and spend lunch and breaks grabbing a coffee, toilet and prepping next lessons! Plus, my kids are streetwise. Suggestions to read during lunch or break would be unpopular with the vast majority!!

And don't worry, I was clear on what you meant by 'hear' :)

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Modgepodge, in terms of parental support and staff time constraints, I would say that our school sounds very similar to yours.

I'm an HLTA based in Year 6 - target groups, PPA/management cover, team teaching - all the usual. As part of a research question about reading in Year 6 last year, I decided to focus on two boys. They came up from Y5 at 3C (in old money) and so were quite a long way from where you would want them to be. My primary concern was their total lack of interest or enjoyment of reading - it was simply something you 'had to do' at school. There was no parental support from one family; the other family said all the right things - expressed concern - but never had time to read with the child. I decided to try and build up a 'reading relationship' with both boys. I talked to them both, explaining that we would be reading together three times a week (individually) - this would take place either at break or the end of lunch time. I bigged it up as exciting and special and assured them it wouldn't clash with football practise, etc. I chose books carefully - challenging but accessible, stories that would appeal - and bought two new copies of two David Walliams' books. I didn't want the sessions to be 'school-like', I wanted them to be as comfortable and family-style as possible. So we never read in the classroom - we have various corners with sofas throughout our school and we always made ourselves comfortable there. I had coffee, they had juice and we shared biscuits - I even made one of them a cup of tea several times. We had a copy of the book each and started with me reading aloud. Gradually, we shared the reading. We laughed a lot; I asked lots of questions - to clarify understanding, what was their opinion, what would happen next .... all the usual things. Above all, I wanted them to learn that reading could be FUN! As time went on, I allowed them both to take their book home with a specific chapter to read (telling them I would read it the same night). They were very excited by this and keen to talk about it first thing next day. In a term, both boys completed the two novels.

It's impossible to measure the impact of this, as both boys were also part of the quality first teaching in Year 6, also other target interventions (comprehension skills) which I delivered. They did make great progress - one achieved expected standard; the other missed it by three points (Grrr!!!) And I do feel that they both moved towards an understanding that reading is not just something teachers make you do, it can be one of life's greatest pleasures!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Not sure why the TES upload file option doesn't work but I get an error each time.

What I was trying to upload was an table showing data from a 2006 paper* which shows the level of word exposure based on time reading.

4.6 minutes of reading per day would expose a child to 282,000 words a year
    9.6 minutes of reading per day would expose a child to 622,000 words a year
    14.2 minutes of reading per day would expose a child to 1,146,000 words a year

I assume the impact of this would also depend on the quality and variety of books being read to expose children to new language opinions and structures, but it correlates well with Jade_dragonA's table and suppports what most of us see anecdotally.

*Adams M J (2006) The promise of automatic speech recognition for fostering literacy growth in children and adults

18. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I don't know about the ten minutes a day figure but study after study has shown the impact reading and literacy has for children. Do Teaching Assistants need evidence to be motivated to read to students? Odd choice of job for any that do.

It's their moment to inspire, amuse, share etc. etc. That ought to be evidence enough.

If it isn't then the Book Trust and the National Literacy Trust have lots of research on their websites.

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think the OP intends for the child to read to the TA

20. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I kind of took it as read that 'reading with' might involve reading by both parties but apologies for not making that clear. My thoughts remain the same that the evidence is much less important than the motivation.